Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Adding sat nav

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 01:05 PM
Default Adding sat nav

I’ve just bought a 2015 Mazda 3 SE-L Fastback.
It doesn’t have sat nav, but is it possible to add sat nav?
It has an SD Card slot and the Navigation option on the screen.

will it work if I get the SD Card or is there more to it?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Trust me, you don't want it; the Mazda NAV is really crappy; spend your money on an aftermarket Garmin. Our 2016 Mazda3 has the factory Mazda NAV, and when we take that car on a trip, we take our Garmin and completely ignore the built in NAV functionality.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:14 PM

I have a different opinion than shipo. I understand the objections to the Mazda system. The voice recognition is poor, you can't use the touch screen when moving, the traffic is not integrated with the navigation screen. You have to leave the navigation screen to access the audio. There may be a few other frustrations. I also own the latest Garmin model and a 5 year old Garmin. I prefer the Mazda system. It has never let me down. The screen is in an excellent location. The screen is larger than any aftermarket system I have seen and it is not sitting in the window like an add-on. I also find the Mazda navigation to be much quicker than either of my Garmins.

Go to a dealership and test drive a Mazda with navigation. I suspect you will prefer it to an aftermarket system in the window.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:53 PM

I heard just get the sd card and follow directions to install it. about 350 from mazda 150 on amazon. Shop at your own risk there.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Boborc
I heard just get the sd card and follow directions to install it. about 350 from mazda 150 on amazon. Shop at your own risk there.
$350 would keep you in Garmins for the rest of your life!!!!

As far as the mention by another poster of something sitting on your dash, look at MANY new cars. They have a 10 inch screen that rises from the dash and is 4 times the size of a stand alone GPS. I wonder what that will cost to fix when drive mechanism in that thing fails?

Sometime you need a laser guided $2000 hammer. Sometimes, you just need a rock. KISS.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:08 PM

A lot of Garmin people on this forum WOW!! Can't even give an answer without the Garmin cult responding. And trust me, Garmin is not the best, unless you like taking the long way.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Boborc
A lot of Garmin people on this forum WOW!! Can't even give an answer without the Garmin cult responding. And trust me, Garmin is not the best, unless you like taking the long way.
Trust you? Garmin beats the Mazda every time and Waze at least half the time. Not sure what you have against Garmin.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:11 PM

And I didn't even mention the poor traffic capabilities. The OP just wanted a how to and info on a Mazda GPS and I gave some info and immediately you see the Garmin is better post. Notice I didn't even mention who is better. So I assume someone might have personal interest in Garmin or just brand blind. Oh and I have 2 Garmin's so don't think I don't have any experience with them.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:20 PM

Sorry, but the Mazda GPS is absolute crap when compared to a high end Garmin unit from six years ago, I cannot image how poorly the Mazda unit would stack up to a new Garmin unit.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM

I had a flashback of who you remind me of. Thankfully I found it on youtube so I can share it with you.

Quick Reply: Adding sat nav