Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

ABS option

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ABS option

Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 AM

I've never heard of being able to install ABS after-the-fact.

It's great to talk about not needing ABS, but in that urgent situation when instinct makes you pound your brakes, ABS is your friend.

Did people drive for many years without ABS? Yes. They also drove for almost 100 years in cars without air bags. Does that mean airbags are a waste of money?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_brakes

Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 AM

I agree with Urban. I have had 5 cars in the last twelve years. (Including wifes)
Only one car did not have abs. I am one for the abs.

The idea behind the abs is not so much about stopping distance as it is the ability to steer out of an accident.

I was driving along one day from work. Highway drive. When all of the sudden the p/up truck in front of me locked em up and started going sideways. (Traffic in front of him had slowed and he was not paying attention) I don't think I was either.
So I had no choice but to jam on my brakes. It all happend with in 3 to 5 seconds. But, with the abs I just slid, turned and kept sliding right past him on the shoulder. I waved at him in a customary salute, waited for him to pull ahead. Then I jumped back in behind.

Without the abs, I would have just slid right into him.

As far as adding ABS later. Never heard that done. That's like when I was 20 and did not have a lot money. I purchased a 1995 Suzuki Swift. It came with ABS but no A/C. I said to myself, I will get it installed at the dealer later. I wasen't thinking a/c cause it was September. Well. 12 years later when I finally put her down. I still had no a/c. She was a good animal though. (Dwelling-off topic alert)

Old 09-07-2007, 08:19 AM

my current car is the first i own with abs. i never knew what it felt like but its already saved me from bumpin ppl in front of me. my 95 eclipse or 94 civic would have gone straight into the rear bumper. with the kind of pull and power that comes with these new cars, its best that abs is a requirement. just like airbags, it'll save your life one day.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Lev

What lord said is correct. ABS was designed more to steer you out of trouble when braking. If you lock the wheels the car will still head in the direction the car was going even if you turn the wheel to either side.A good way to brake is if you down shift the car. When i go into sharp turns i put the car in 2nd, or if i need to make a quick brake. You dont need to apply as much pressure on the brake and you save some wear and tear on the brakes. Thankfully the cars come with a manumatic so you are able to downshift even if you have an automatic.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:14 PM

hahaha yes as living in canada i do more burnouts in a parking lot the nyou will ever know with my friends 1991 chevy blazer... till i ****ed up the axle :/