Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Red face Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?

Apologies if this already covered somewhere..... I have a 2009 Mazda 5 Sport Nav (with luxury pack ).

Loving it so far - it's my first experience with Mazda and am really enjoying it.

However one thing bugging me.... on the Sat Nav Stereo System when you press Source on the screen you get the choice of AM / FM Radio / CD and then two AUX options and an IPOD option.

I know the first AUX option comes active when you plug a 3.5mm jack into the socket near the front cigarette lighter.

In the manual there is reference to a video / audio socket in the boot somewhere but I don't have that.

But my main interest is the IPOD option? Is there anyway that can be connected? Either with standard item or if necessary doing some DIY modifications? I know I can plug the ipod into the 3.5mm AUX jack - but I would love to be able to browse the IPOD on the main screen.

Many thanks to all

Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 AM

Can't help you there, ours is a 2008 and hasn't the Ipod option so we just use the Aux and the 3.5mm jack. The Ipod option must be new. Glad you're enjoying the 5.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:22 AM

Thanks Nick - that actually gives me a little bit of hope! I didn't know it was a new thing - all the Mazda litereature and websites I look at mention the Mazda IPOD adaptors but say they not suitable for cars fitted with the multichanger / satnav system - maybe they mean last years models?

It just seems odd there is a option for IPOD on the screen - surely it must be there for a reason - hoping someone can explain.

I'm wondering how you get to the back of the stereo would be nice if there was a "socket" or something just ready to plug a cable in for an ipod!!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 AM

That' be too easy!

Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Cool sat nav stereo system IPOD option

Hi guys

Reference you question about the Ipod option Mazda do have a IPOD kit for the stereo as a upgrade on the system. However as you have pointed out this function is not available for sat nav system with a multi cd system, and as far as i understand it is all models not just the newer models. I suspect that as the sat nav is interfaced with the stereo so it ourride s it when you need directions. Therefore if the IPOD is connected then the stereo and sat nav will not be able to override the the IPOD to give you directions.

The stereo system is what they call a modular system and if you want a tape deck it simply slotted underneath the cd deck. I have however i have seen various sites in the states that have an IPOD adapter kit and circuit board that uses that same terminal plug as the tape deck and gives the stereo the impression that it is a tape deck connected not a IPOD. Thus allowing you to play the IPOD hoever i have also seen threads that will enable you have the playlist displayed through the stereo. I'll dig the threads for you and let you as some systems use a FM modulator. On my stereo there are no other plaugs that you can use other than the FM ariel plug, which gave very poor results for me.

The Aux plug that you mentioned is on the rear nearside boot plastic trim and you remove the cover to get the three aux pins. These will only fitted if the spec was requested from factory. I know this as i have a 2005 Sport Nav and have siemens DVD player fitted in the rear. Do you think that i could just plug it into the stereo so i could play the DVD through the speakers. As i have twin girls and did not want the little mites swinging on the headphone cables. The short answer is no i cannot do it, hence the fact i have had half the dash out and spent hours on the net looking for adapter kits. I have considered the infra red headphones but at nearly seventy pound each i think that this is may last option. they look as though they are as big as my daughters head....

Strange though as the Sport Nav being the Top of the range and with the increase in portable media players that this model of the Mazda 5 cannot have a IPOD connected to it.....

Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 AM

Thanks Judge - I did search for the rear AUX socket - but as you say assume I do not have it as did not request it when ordering the car.

Just for info I attach a photo of the screen that clearly shows it has been designed to have IPOD as well as two AUX sockets - as per first post connecting something to the 3.5mm jack in the front "enables" the first AUX option so it can be chosen. Sorry the pic quality not very good.

By the way I have twice tried to speak with someone at my local Mazda dealer but how on earth they stay in business is beyond me - not once have they actually been able to help either with questions or in selling me a car!!

Attached Thumbnails Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?-mazda.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Default Sat Nav Stereo IPOD option

Hi jfs 4165

i had a quick look at the favorites bits that i have on the computer and this link may help or not? http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...products_id=80

The problem is i have a 2005 model and my Sat Nav pops up from the dash seperate to the stereo, but everywhere that i have looked for my stereo it always say not compatible with vehicles fitted with a muliti cd changer and sat nav.

so you may find that if you look at the accessories book, the IPOD adapter kit can be bought from the dealer. I had a look at it when i was trying to get a rca lead input into the stereo. I did see that the new stereo does have a input as i ordered the leads only to find that it does not work with my spec on stereo. I have seen the IPOD kits in the book.

You are right about the dealers absolutely none of them have been able to help me with my problem. All i wanted to do was have the DVD player connected to the stereo so that the nippers could listen to a film vai the car speakers, and watch the dvd player without the headphone wires dangling down form the roof.

According the the use handbook you should be able to do it, ah if you bought the car from Japan like that yes. However have the car made up to that spec in the UK and you get what ever DVD player the local dealer can source. Hence the media button on the stereo. As i say i have not seen the rear or in-fact the newer Sat Nav version of the Mazda as local dealer has none in stock.

I will keep looking as i will endevour to find a solution to my problem......

Cheers...Judge..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Talking

Judge - really appreciate your efforts here!

Funny thing is I don't even have an ipod - but if I found there is a way to connect the ipod to the stereo (other than the 3.5mm AUX jack) I would certainly buy one! I'd love to be able to take my enitre music collection in the car (as opposed to the wifes "taste" in music normally found in the CD player!! )

I think most people would have given up by now - but the fact there is an "IPOD" option on the touch screen just waiting to spring into life is bugging me ..... so while the wife was shopping and armed with a screwdriver and socket set... I went to work.... I removed the Stereo/Sat Nav/Cd Player unit and had a little look... attached are some photos.....

The bad news is that all of the sockets on the back except the one to the left of the Radio Aerial socket were occupied - I had hoped there would be a blank socket saying "connecet your ipod here!". I somehow doubt the spare socket that only has 4 pins is for an Ipod? But I may be wrong.

The link you sent I had already found similiar - and the connector does look identical to the plug in the middle left of the group of six. But if I unplug that I'll obviously be loosing something that is already connected to it. Also the link does say not suitable for 2008.5 models which I think mine is as I know the brochures at end of 2008 showed my Sat Nav unit. (Mine is actually a 2009.0 model but guessing no difference)

I was assuming the socket on it's own on left of stereo is the standard power / speaker connection and thinking of what else needs to connect to this device - you have the steering wheel volume / track controls, the sat nav "detector" (I don't know what it's called), the reverse parking camera, the steering wheel sensor for the reverse parking, the front Aux socket, ... the list goes on!

Anyway the only good news is that I emailed Sanyo Automedia in Malasyia and they have forwarded my email on to someone - hopefully they may be able to help - I asked for the wiring / connector layouts for the rear of the model.

So much effort for something so silly!! Again it just bugs me - the unit is obviously made for an IPOD!!

If I hear anything back from Sanyo I'll be sure to update you! Thanks again for your help.

Attached Thumbnails Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?-dscf6183.jpg   Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?-dscf6186.jpg   Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?-dscf6187.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Default IPOD in SAT NAV

hi, if you heard or received the wiring diagram from sanyo. pls let us know. thanks!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Smile IPOD in SAT NAV

i did some research, this may be the answer for us, pls check the link.
i could see that the 16 pins will match to the bottom output shown on one of your pictures, i havent remove my navigation yet, but could you tell me if there is something connected to that output, what is it.

how easy is it to remove the navigation unit from the dash board?

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...ctid=9805#tabs

Quick Reply: Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?