Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2019 Mazda3 should I wait or go for 2018 model

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Default 2019 Mazda3 should I wait or go for 2018 model

Hi Guys
Looks like time for my 2008 Mazda 3 is coming soon as this is 11 years old car and wifey wants newer ride. Since this car is really reliable so far she is considering another Mazda3 and relies on me to provide guidance on future car. I won’t lie as I was also looking for Honda Civic Coupe as possible competitor for new car (she likes Coupe) but looks like new 2019 Mazda3 really caught her eye as it is a looker. So far I was reading a lot on our forum on 2019 and in case of Mazda3 option I am kinda on the fence if I should go with new 2019 model or rather with proven 2018 version. I have to say my current 2008 model is making so much noise (I am talking about plastic shaking vibrations inside) that it drives me nuts and I am afraid that no matter if I choose 2018 or 2019 I might end up with same problem 10 years later.
Friend bought Civic same year (2008) and his car don’t have this problem so that’s why I even consider Civic for now with Accord Coupe as possible option as well.I realize asking about Honda on Mazda forum is not the best option but I will hope you guys can steer me in right direction as far as choosing 2018 or 2019 Mazda3 as I really like this car as well and all reviews give it to Mazda as far as comparison at least with Civic as I realize Accord is not same segment to some degree.While I wouldn’t mind 2018 version I have to say Mazda3 is just loud car on highway rides and this also bothers me a lot so this is what makes me not so sure about pre 2019 model as I read they improved this for newer 2019 models. Just FYI wifey is only driving close by lately and I am really looking for a car that will last a while and will be quiet and reliable to travel in case we want to take it for longer trip. She always complained about sluggish acceleration of 2008 model (1.8L engine) so I am sure she will appreciate some more performance at least comparing to her current model. As far as driving 2008 model we currently have driving it on highway feels like flying in airplane with open cockpit JPlease be mild on me for bringing Honda name on this forum but I hope you guys will understand where I am coming from.Thanks in advance

Old 01-06-2019, 10:49 AM

The choice between Honda and Mazda, in my opinion, comes down to how you feel about driving. If you are looking for a vehicle to get you from where you are to where you need to go, you can't go wrong with the Honda. If you want to enjoy the drive along the way, Mazda (and BMW if you have twice the cash) is the only option, in my opinion. Drive both and make your decision with an open mind.

I would guess that the first 2019's to make it to the US will be as reliable as all current Mazdas with the 2.5. The new engine to come out later may be best left to early adopters until it is proven. I was excited to hear that all wheel drive will be available in the 3 and that may be a deciding factor for me to upgrade.

The 2018 is a great car and with the 2019 on the horizon, there are great deals on the outgoing model. The 2019 should be a great car with some new features that may make it worth considering.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either option, and the best option for you will be based on personal preference. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:16 PM

I would definitely go with the Mazda over the Honda. I owned both and the Mazda had better mileage and very much less maintenance. I would also go for the new 2018 leftover as you will save much of the first year depreciation and still drive a new unit. Shop online in your area, but these prices should be a bit lower when you request an online quote.

https://www.sportmazdaorlando.com/ne...mazda3-4-door/

https://www.bigmazda.com/searchnew.a...azda3%205-Door

Last edited by nickndfl; 01-06-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:20 PM
ZQ8

Gonna trade a 2016 in on a new 2018 here. No to the 2019 cause of cylinder deactivation on the 2.5 L.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 AM

If you can wait, I would. Even if you get the 2018 model, it will be cheaper with the 2019's on the floor.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 PM

I just went through the exact same thing you are now. I just bought a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring to replace my 2008 Mazda 3 Sport. I looked closely at both the Mazda 3 and Honda Civic Sport and I went back and forth between each several times before going with the Mazda 3 again. Those cars are just so closely matched that it really came down to personal preference.

On the Mazda 3 side, I liked how familiar it felt to drive, and the Touring came with 30 extra HP, leatherette seats, and the larger 18" wheels. The things I disliked was loosing the tool trays above the spare tire, the smaller glove box, and the odd infotainment system (the control setup, the usb placement, restrictions on not being able to use the touch screen while driving, some restrictions on Android Auto, and some less-than intuitive GUI Choices made by Mazda). Also, I swear the Mazda 3 hatch is just a bit smaller in the front cab area and the front doors (though I have not measured it). In the end, it was my girlfriend that swayed me to the Mazda side. She said that she felt that the ride and the feel of the inside was nicer.

On the Honda Civic Sport side, it was actually a little too sporty for my taste, but came with the 18" wheels, fog lights, and a digital speedometer. I also liked the infotainment console much better as it was more traditional. As for the cons, I dislike the storage area under the center console (out of sight, out of mind), the pull-across cargo area screen was disappointing, as well as the lack of extra tool storage (which the Mazda 3 didn't have anyway).

As for waiting for the 2019, If you don't mind the pratfalls that sometimes comes with cutting edge tech, then wait for the Mazda 3 2019 and see what happens. They should start arriving by the end of Q1 was my sales person's guess. Personally, I rather like having others 'test' cutting edge so that I can buy a solid piece of hardware later on down the road.

I don't think you can go wrong either way though.