Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2012 Mazda cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM

I just got the switch installed and haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Would your's light the cruise light on the dash if you pushed "on" before you went to the dealer or was the cruise side basically dead until they turned it on in the computer ?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM

NO. It did nothing until I took it to the dealer. When the dealers computer said done I then hit the on button and the cruise lite came on but it will be an amber color. When you actually engage the cruise at 20 mph or higher the cruise word will turn green.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks. Got an appointment tuesday to have mine done. Mine's a manual so i will post back for others as to whether it works on manual.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM

THis is good info. I was too surprised that my iSport did not have cruise. I will be doing this as well. I am surprised that any car in 2012 doesn't come with it standard. Very bizarre to say the least.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Had my car in the dealer today to get the cruise activated and it works. So all you need for a manul trans is the steering wheel switch that midget posted earlier. Thanks midget , this mod saved me a lot of money.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Happy that it worked for you. I am getting several emails stating that dealers refuse to do the computer work. I suggest that one should go to a small town dealer. They seem to be easier to deal with.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM

I was charged a half hour labor (47.50) to do it. Not sure why any dealer would turn down easy money like that , honestly took the tech about 5 min start to finish. I would have paid a full hour or more since I already dropped $200 in the switches. Still saved me quite a bit from buying the fancier model.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 i sport and live in the Richmond area. I installed the factory steering wheel and brake parts; numbers: BBM5-66-4M0C and BN7N-66-490; and the audio controls function perfectly. Activating the annunciation panel self test shows a cruise light present in the dash but the cruise "on" button doesn't work. I've contacted all 3 Mazda dealerships in the area and they all insist it can't be activated and they are not even allowed to try. One insisted that the necessary programing isn't on the GEM controller in this car so there's nothing to activate. Is there another option besides dealerships to have this "speed" icon activated via the under dash port? Do generic repair shops have access to the required software? Anyone in the Mid-Atlantic area find a shop willing to do this? Thanks for any help.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Gallandz-
I'm by no means an expert on this but from what I read , the 2010 and earlier models didn't need to be programmed that it was just plug and play. Also you said that you bought the switch BBM5-66-4M0C , from what midget posted the " C " indicated that the switch was for a 2012 model . I wonder if you have the wrong switch and there's a different part number for the 2010 and earlier models.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 AM

This seems to be the correct part for 2010+ models; I believe the "3" was redesigned for 2010 --> '09 models and earlier were "plug&play" with the switches. I thought I had a dealer guy this morning who was willing to do the programing. I showed him Midget9999's description of the process; Diagnostics -- VIN# -- Speed Icon -- Activate; but he insisted that he wouldn't be looking at menus but lines of code. He said I'd need to supply him with "as built" data that would be compatible with my VIN#. He wouldn't plug it in and try even with an offer to pay. Does anyone know if there's an "official" Mazda instruction set for this that I can show them? Apparently this is available as an OEM kit in Canada as part # BEH1-V7-760A. That kit must come with some sort of dealer instructions for activating the software. Maybe if we had a pdf of it we could just take it into the dealers. Since it's a Canadian part number the dealership told me they can't access it.

Quick Reply: 2012 Mazda cruise control