Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2012 Mazda cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tydude2641
Hey everybody, I know this is an OLD post, but I wanted to provide my experience with adding OEM cruise control to my car.
I have a 2013 Mazda 3 iSV 2.0L 5 Speed auto (BL 2nd Gen). The car is the base model with no cruise control and no special frills.
I really want to keep this car for awhile and really love to use cruise on my fiancé's car, and so I saw this forum and saw the rostra cruise stalk alternative for 300+ bucks. (ew)
We all know which option I went with.

From previous users and research, I checked to make sure my car was drive by wire and had the 4 wire brake switch, which it was and had. This is for the US Mazda 3, I'm in Florida.
After that I purchased BEH3-66-4M0C for $99, that is the on wheel buttons with cruise on the right and phone buttons and volume on the left.
I lose my mute button but that's fine, volume and MODE and channel change still work, the other phone control buttons don't do anything.
There is a possibility of part number BBM5664M0C working as well, cruise buttons on the right, basic radio and mute switches on the left, but that is not the part I used.

I did the usual, unhook ground terminal, discharge battery by toggling lights, take out airbag and wheel, took it inside, disassembled wheel, swapped out the buttons, reassembled, etc.
I bought a torque wrench for the job ($50), already had other sockets needed, torqued wheel back down to 35 FT LBS, good to go. Pressed the cruise buttons, nothing lit up, as expected.
I shined a light on my dashboard as well to see if the dash had a spot for a CRUISE light, mine did which is a good sign.
I also made sure the pins/wires on the wheel switches and the clock spring plug matched too.
It all lined up and looked good to work.

I then scheduled an appointment with my closest Mazda Dealership, pulled in, someone greeted me and I explained why I'm here.
I explained that I had added the hardware needed for cruise control to work on my car, and wanted to see if a service tech could activate the OEM cruise.
This first person I spoke with gave me a bit of attitude, told me it wouldn't work, it was a very involved process, you would have to purchase an aftermarket unit, yada yada yada.
I informed him that I know it sounds crazy, but that I was willing to pay just to even have the diagnostic tool connected to my car, even if it didn't work.
This guy said directly to me "Alright, if you want to waste your money go right ahead."
I went to the service desk, and after the first interaction everyone else was great to work with.
I did have to explain myself multiple times, but I worked with the service advisor and the technician who had the diagnostic tool.
I even asked to speak directly to the tech and if possible look at the tool he was using.
I waited in the lounge for about 20 minutes, then the service advisor explained that he was having trouble explaining what I wanted.
He walked me out to the service bays, and I got to speak directly with the tech, explained again, and he was very willing to try.
The tech went and grabbed the diagnostic tool/laptop and started looking around.
After a minute he found the speed setting, activated it, and BOOM! OEM Cruise control, works flawlessly!

The tech even walked me through what settings he went to:
Module programming---> programmable parameters---> speed items---> once speed items is clicked it will take the tech through the process, he had to hit enabled, wait, and then DONE.

They charged a .5 hour labor fee, which was about $70, and that's pretty reasonable. So with the part and reprogramming, it was $170!
The torque wrench I would've needed to buy sooner or later anyways.

Sorry this is a long post, but hope this helps anybody out, and if anyone wants to message me I could provide photos and additional information if needed!

TLDR: It works!
Very appreciative of this post! Reads just like my story briefly below:

Been searching for a M3 for months and after multiple trashed examples I found a 2013 that was at the top of our budget, but it was immaculate inside and out, southern low rust well kept specimen. Only drawback is no cruise, but power windows locks mirrors, keyless windows, abs and tcs. So I have a steering wheel ordered from eBay. Next chance I get I’ll swap it over, then share my experiences with the closest dealer.

Had the car a few weeks now and impressed with the mid 30s mpg with mixed driving. Going to be a good commuter!

G

Old 07-24-2021, 03:14 PM

Hey guys! Wanted to report a success using ForScan to add cruise to a car formerly without it.

2013 Mazda3 iSV
Donor buttons from a 2010 Mazda3

Swapped buttons into my wheel because my wheel was a little better condition

ForScan in this case had a toggle for cruise so I didn’t have to mess with the hexadecimal

Highly recommend the program for this and I will be buying a license to support the developers

Old 07-27-2021, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well done, congratulations.