Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Steering Wheel Swap - HELP!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Default Steering Wheel Swap - HELP!

So close but yet so far...
I've been trying to swap and enable cruise control on my '13 Sport Mazda2 and everything has been going well until now. Long story, but, I have been able to edit my ASBuilt and PCM files with proper checksum/hex-values to enable cruise via FORScan. Everything has worked flawlessly thus far.. Well I found a wheel with audio and cruise switches on EBay that should be a plug and play drop in to make all the pieces work. It came from a '12 Touring Mazda2 butttt I didn't foresee this problem; my dang airbag doesn't fit!!!! All the work leading up to this and I am stumped by such a silly problem. I had pulled the wheel and got everything ready for the swap but the trim at the top of the touring wheel prohibits the airbag/horn from falling onto the wheel and operating properly. So my initial thoughts, A. Dremel.. would you think cutting the silver trim to roughly the same size (eyeballing the best I can) would solve the issue? or B. try to find some sort of steering wheel housing to fit the '13 air bag to the '12 wheel? C. Sell this wheel and buy, what? Super disappointed right now because I thought for sure I'd have cruise and audio for the commute in tomorrow. Thoughts or ideas to get up and running?

Old 06-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Hi, Not related but wondered how easy or difficult it is to remove the steering wheel on these without accidentally deploying the airbag? Having some steering wheel/alignment issues and considering doing a retro adjustment

Old 06-15-2019, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

If you don't know how to safely remove it, please leave it to the professionals. Your life is important to us.