Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Boot issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Default Boot issue

Hey all.
2008 TS2. I’m finding that sometimes my boot won’t latch closed - it just bounces off the latch.

In addition, it’s sometimes unlocking whilst driving. The door open light will illuminate, and you can hear the electric latch operating in some manner.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Seen this before, ended up replacing both the external release button and the latch/actuator.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Seen this before, ended up replacing both the external release button and the latch/actuator.
Thanks for this.

How do you get to these? I can see bolts for the latch, but I assume you need to remove the inner trim from inside the boot lid. I can see plastic ‘stoppers’ but I’m not sure how to remove it. Does it just remove by being pulled?

Old 09-04-2019, 01:58 PM

I've replaced the switch on mine but problem was the thing was locked shut after malfunction - but the boot wouldn't stay fully shut at the same time. From memory removed panels to get at mechanisms, so pays to buy some panel pins maybe to replace any that break in the process. Bought a new switch from e bay for £25 or so, problems all solved. Apparently water gets into the switch.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by sillysandwich
Hey all.
2008 TS2. I’m finding that sometimes my boot won’t latch closed - it just bounces off the latch.

In addition, it’s sometimes unlocking whilst driving. The door open light will illuminate, and you can hear the electric latch operating in some manner.

Any suggestions?
As an update, I think this is resolved. I replaced rhe boot switch which had a split in it.

To access, use a flat head screwdriver to pop out the retaining clips on the material on the underside of the boot lid. Slide the metal retaining clip upwards to release the boot switch, and disconnect the cable. Pull switch out.

Fitting is the reverse.

My boot sometimes still doesnt latch but I’ve found a knack to doing it- just a very firm push from the centre of the lid from chest height. Willing to put that down to age or lack of use.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:05 PM

Hi there I had a similar issue and fixed it with a new switch from e bay (25£ or something) and some new panel pins - from memory these actually screw out (see if they have a wee cap that exposes a screw head) . Seem to recall needing a fairly long thin screwdriver but might be thinking of a Meriva there - had same problem at the same time one wet winter. I don't recall it being too hard but because my whole latch mechanism was kind of locked, recall I removed the D ring latch as well that the mechnism hooks onto - and ended up breaking a bit of trim in the process. But I'm a bit rough sometimes...