Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Broken Glove Box Latch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Default Broken Glove Box Latch

The latch on my 1999 Protege has apparently broken, and since the glove compartment can no longerbe opened, I'm totally baffled about how to remove itto install a new latch.

Anybody ever have this problem? Or at least know how to get the glove compartment out of the dash without disassembling half the car?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Default RE: Broken Glove Box Latch

Theres no sure fire way really. I get one like that i pry a little while working the latch and usually get lucky. I explain to the customer that it will take whatever it takes including breaking something to get it off. It was not designed with a failsafe so you just keep plugging along til something gives.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 PM

I'm sort of disappointed in just how little help this forum has been...

I did finally get the damn thing off. I was able to get the bottom free, but the top part would not open - the latch was engaged with the metal bar that keeps the compartment closed, and if I tried yanking on the top I would have destroyed the whole glove box area.

What I did was break off the plastic latch cover, exposing a slot leading to the mechanics of the latch. When I inserted a little screwdriver into the slot and pulled down on the screrwdriver the latch disengaged from behind the bar, and the box popped open. Then I simply unscrewed the old, now broken, latch and put in a new one.

I'd thank everybody for all the help I received, had I actually gotten any...

Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 PM

There is no set procedure for that problem friend. Some things you just have to figure out yourself.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM

This is a common problem for the 1995 through 2002 Miata and Protege glove box.
When the latch no longer opens, it's because the plastic release arm has snapped off. This only fix for this is to replace the complete latch\lock mechanism. So don't worry about breaking off the latch release lever. To open the glove box, just pull up on the latch release lever just as you would to open the glove box normally. But keep pulling up harder until the plastic release lever breaks off in your grasp. As boweasel described, you will see a rectangle hole with a tab in it. Just use a nail or other narrow tool to press down on the tab in the rectangle hole. The glove compartment will pop open. Then just remove the three screws holding the lock\latch mechanism in place. Mazda dealerships have this part for around $35. They may have to order it. I found a brand new one (Miata's use the same latch) on Ebay for $20 including shipping. Good luck; hope this helped.