Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribute won't start in the morning, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Kavee,
When this problem is happen, the engine light is on, but I reset it by take out the battery for awhile and put it again so the engine light is off again.
If I scan now (with the engine light already off) can I retreive the fault?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 AM

Fuel Delivery system
Probably I have overseen the fuel delivery system. You only said you heard a sound and you suspect that is fuel pump working. Instincts may not always proved to be correct, so better to check at the engine side. Simple way to check is to wrap your palm over the fuel line and feel for it (while somebody else is cranking). There are other “better” ways of doing it though. You may also have to check fuel injectors. I don’t think they are blocked since you say the vehicle can be driven normal once started. The issue can be again with the ECU signal which command the injectors to open.

You have to do a scan and see if there are trouble codes.

Originally Posted by kavee
Now you have some vital observations comming in. Trusting your spark observations, issues can be ponted at two systems (in general), ignition system and ECU.

Ignition system
You already ruled out the coil. Now its the distributor you have to check for faults. cleaning the contact points is an average skilled job. Don't forget to check the sprk wires also.

ECU
If the parks wont initiate, and ignition system is cleard for faults, then the problem may be with the ECU signal for ignition. If this is the cause, then there are many issues which can prevent ECU ignition signal, starting from a sensor fault to ECU eclectrnic or software issue. You need to hook this up with a scanner and check for faults. Does check engine light comes in (even momentaraly when the spark fails?)

Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 AM

My friend, the check engine light is there to warn about ECU (+ other systems) problems. This can be any electro mechanical device attached to the ECU directly or any sybsystem which can cuase ECU to trigger a fault.

If you own an OBDII scanner, then you can do this yourself. You need to let the engine light come, and then check for falut. Sometimes the ECU woud not realibly store historical faults.

Originally Posted by gkaca
Kavee,
When this problem is happen, the engine light is on, but I reset it by take out the battery for awhile and put it again so the engine light is off again.
If I scan now (with the engine light already off) can I retreive the fault?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 AM

OBDII scanners are dirt cheap on eBay these days. I recently bought a Bluetooth obd scanner under $50 (with shipping, far away from USA). These are very tiny devices, which can be hooked on to the OBDII port permanently (I only connect it when I want to check). A Bluetooth enable laptop can read trouble codes, reset and also see some performance readings depending on the software you receive (free versions). But what comes free with the device is more than enough for basic troubleshooting.

Check for ELM chip based devices, which are compatible with most of the OBDII software available.

I use an application called Torque (free) on my Android phone, which does all basic readings, trouble code reset etc. quite nicely and most conveniently. There are free OBD software for iPhone also. Even if you don’t know much about cars and engines, reading trouble codes are child’s play these days. Fun part is, applications quarry over the internet (if a connection is there) and provide you a wealth of information of particular trouble codes tripped. So before going to the mechanic, you know what the problem is.