Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Stiff accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Default Stiff accelerator

Is there a modification to make the accelerator pedal sensitive? I've cleaned around the throttle butterfly valve. It wasn't really dirty. Can the cable on this thing be maintenanced? Is there a simple modification to reduce the amount of pressure required to initiate gas flow? this seems to be a fairly common complaint for the V-6 Duratec.

2001 Mazda Tribute, v6, automatic, loaded.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM

On my '98 Protege I took off the cable at the throttle body and held it up to drip some heavy silicone lubricant into the cable housing. It made the operation a little smoother on tip-in. In my car the cable makes U-turn and there is friction between the cable and the cable housing.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Default the problem is the throttle control spring at the throttle housing

Originally Posted by tanprotege
On my '98 Protege I took off the cable at the throttle body and held it up to drip some heavy silicone lubricant into the cable housing. It made the operation a little smoother on tip-in. In my car the cable makes U-turn and there is friction between the cable and the cable housing.
yeah, I disconnected the cable end from the throttle body, and it moves freely. Likewise with the speed control cable. It offers no resistance at all during the complete range of throttle openings. However, the throttle spring is wound real tight. It needs to be unwound a little, imo, if that is even possible.

Anybody know how to decrease the tension that spring produces???

Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 AM

I would look for a way to replace it with a weaker spring. In fact there are typically 2 springs, so if one brakes you don't barrel down the road with the throttle stuck open.
Get a good look at their shape and diameter, then have a gander at your closest Pull-A-Part. Try various throttle bodies and get a few different springs.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Okay, the problem is that the bushings have scratched-up the gas pedal pivot rod at the contact surfaces, and gas pedal sticks when moving through the scratches, thus the car lurches and will not slow down or speed up smoothly. Enough pressure has to be exerted to move past the scratchy areas. next week I'll remove the rod from the car (I have company this weekend), sand the rod smooth, purchase new bushings, grease it all up, and - voila! - I ought to have a smooth beast again. You can see pictures of the thing at:

'01 duratec V-6 stiff throttle - The Ranger Station Forums

Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Good find wrknonit!

I think I would report this to: Auto Recall Safety Check and Free Car Reports - Consumer Complaints - Car Ratings
The chances that someone's throttle will stay open too long are pretty high!