Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

SOS transmission flush, DexIII or mercon

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Default SOS transmission flush, DexIII or mercon

hi, guys, just got the trany of my 2002 tribute flushed by a local dealer. they used Dexron III which I am not very happy because mazda specified Mercon. at first they tried to persuade me that these two are the same. but I called Mazda Australia, and the lady over the phone informed me that DEXRON III and MERCON got different grade and different viscosity. back to the dealer, they said they only got Mercon V and Dexron III. they offered me to flush it again with Mercon V but I have to pay 45 bucks extra. that sucks. I tried to call Mazda or Ford to get information. but both of these two company could not tell waht is the difff=erence between mercon and mercon V. if they are the similar I will go ahead to get them fill in the right oil, Ford even tell me they use Dexron II in theri escape. I doo not think they caqre too much about their customers. could some one get me from the confusion?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Default RE: SOS transmission flush, DexIII or mercon

When I had mine flushed, I made sure that the Mazda dealer replaced the old fluid with Mercon V. The difference between Mercon V and Dexron II or III is that Mercon V is a semi or fully synthetic transmission fluid. It resists breakdown from heat build up better and operates better at low temps., just like synthetic engine oil vs. conventional engine oil. Considering the Trib has a a fully electronic transmission and shifts gears with solenoids, I would go for the Mercon V. See if you can get your dealer to eat the extra cost...tell them you were under the impression that the fluid exchange would be done with the newest fluid available, which is Mercon V. If not, I would pay the extra $$ for the extra piece of mind.