Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Noise when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Default Noise when turning left

I know that sounds vague....
I have a 2001 tribute...When I turn left, I hear a creeking noise..almost like the tire is scrapping something...but its not...
I had the power steering line flushed...didn't help...
Mechanic said he would try to replace the steering fluid pump..cause the pressure was low...if that doesn't work...
he said he might have to replace the "rack and pinion"? $1000! YIKES...
Anyone have similar issure? Resolved?
thanks!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Noise when turning left

TSB: 06-002/03

2001-2004 TRIBUTE - STEERING RACK NOISE - TIE ROD END INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: This bulletin replaces 02-004/03. Please update your records accordingly.

BULLETIN NOTES

This bulletin supersedes 02-004/03, issued 11/07/03. The REAPIR PROCEDURE has been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

All 2001-2004 Tribute

DESCRIPTION

Some Tributes may experience premature wear and/or noise from the tie rod end, especially from the outer tie rod.

This procedure is designed to provide a more detailed procedure for inspecting tie rod ends. It is also intended to help prevent unnecessary replacement of steering rack when diagnosing customer concern of "noise when turning steering wheel".

Customers having this concern should have their vehicles repaired using the following procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Free Play: Check the outer tie rod ends by grasping by hand and pushing up and down. Check the inner tie rod ends, pushing them front to rear.
If any free play is observed in a joint, it is worn and should be replaced.

2. Stud Lash - Free Play: While vehicle is on the ground or on a drive-on hoist, have an assistant rotate the steering wheel rapidly back and forth from 10 oclock to 2 oclock to 10 oclock while observing the inner and outer tie rods.
If the outer tie rod ends have any vertical movement or the inner tie rod ends have any horizontal movement, the tie rod end with the observed movement should be replaced.

3. Seal/Boot Inspection: Raise the vehicle on the hoist and remove the front wheels. The wheels need to be turned to the left to inspect the passenger side inner tie rod end and to the right to inspect the drivers side inner tie rod end. Inspect all four seals/boots for tears, perforations and wear.
If there is any indication of wear or damage to the seal/boot for inner tie rod, the seal/boot should be replaced after confirming there is no damage to the inner tie rod end ball joint.

For wear, damage or failure at outer seal/boot, the tie rod end itself should be replaced.

4. Stud Corrosion: If squeak is noticed during Step 2, disconnect tie rod from knuckle and articulate stud in socket. If squeak, binding or looseness is verified, replace part.
NOTE: If any tie rod ends are removed, inspect the seal and the stud again, noting any differences in appearance and feel from when the part was on the vehicle. Checking the component after removal helps improve effective diagnosis when inspecting parts on the vehicle.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM

I believe I have exactly the same problem. Was this ever fixed? What ended up being the problem>

Old 11-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Turns out the problem was the steering pump in both ofthesecases. Too much work to replace it myself, so I had Midas do it for $480 and they put in BG steering fluid. Had NOTHING to do with any other part of the steering system outlined in the TSB. Nobody could explain why you only heard thesound when turning left. You wouldn't think that would happen if it were the pump. Steering is now smooth and quiet.