Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Need some help with fluid changes on 06 tribute v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Default Need some help with fluid changes on 06 tribute v6

Hey guys I have a 2006 mazda tribute v6 that I am wanting to do a fluid change on everything.

I want to get some feedback and have some questions.

Below is my plan I'm getting these fluids from the haynes manual
- Brake Fluid - I'm going to use Dot 3 and just turkey baste out the old, and put new dot 3 in .. I'm not planning on bleeding - any issues with this?
- Diff fluid - I'm going to use 80w-90
- Transfer case fluid - I'm going to use 75w-140
- PS Fluid & Tranny fluid - this is where I'm having trouble. Which should I buy? Haynes says to use Mercon .... can I use Mercon V in the tranny and also the PS? for PS I was just going to turkey baste out the old and put new in.
- Coolant - I was going to use motorcraft gold and 50/50 mix .. and just do a drain and fill - should I do more?

I'm mostly confused on which PS & ATF fluid to get .. especially when I see valvoline that says its like Mercon but not.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by boostmg
Hey guys I have a 2006 mazda tribute v6 that I am wanting to do a fluid change on everything.

I want to get some feedback and have some questions.

Below is my plan I'm getting these fluids from the haynes manual
- Brake Fluid - I'm going to use Dot 3 and just turkey baste out the old, and put new dot 3 in .. I'm not planning on bleeding - any issues with this?
- Diff fluid - I'm going to use 80w-90
- Transfer case fluid - I'm going to use 75w-140
- PS Fluid & Tranny fluid - this is where I'm having trouble. Which should I buy? Haynes says to use Mercon .... can I use Mercon V in the tranny and also the PS? for PS I was just going to turkey baste out the old and put new in.
- Coolant - I was going to use motorcraft gold and 50/50 mix .. and just do a drain and fill - should I do more?

I'm mostly confused on which PS & ATF fluid to get .. especially when I see valvoline that says its like Mercon but not.
Brake fluid. Just changing the fluid in the reservoir is a waste of time, brake fluid doesnt circulate like coolant or oil. If this is your plan then you may as well not bother.

Diff and Transfer box fluids look fine, diff has no drain so suck out with a tube or pull the diff rear cover to drain. Transfer box has a drain and fill/level plug.

Trans fluid I use Castrol ATF which is a Mercon equiv from memory, I drain and refill 4L, run through the gears then repeat with another 4L, gets you about 65% new fluid but thats about as good as you’ll get without doing a flush at a shop or using heaps more fluid.

Same ATF for p/s fluid. P/s fluid circulates a little better than brake fluid from the reservoir.

Coolant drain and refill looks good, if she doesnt want to bleed all the air out then try driving in a circle on a slope, that does the trick for mine.

Good luck and bleeding is straightforward, you just need a spanner for the bleed nipples, a peice of clear tubing that will fit over them, a pot with some brake fluid in and an assistant to push the brake pedal. You can find the steps and sequence easily enough but shout up here if you want to give it a go and arent sure.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by simonsi
Brake fluid. Just changing the fluid in the reservoir is a waste of time, brake fluid doesnt circulate like coolant or oil. If this is your plan then you may as well not bother.

Diff and Transfer box fluids look fine, diff has no drain so suck out with a tube or pull the diff rear cover to drain. Transfer box has a drain and fill/level plug.

Trans fluid I use Castrol ATF which is a Mercon equiv from memory, I drain and refill 4L, run through the gears then repeat with another 4L, gets you about 65% new fluid but thats about as good as you’ll get without doing a flush at a shop or using heaps more fluid.

Same ATF for p/s fluid. P/s fluid circulates a little better than brake fluid from the reservoir.

Coolant drain and refill looks good, if she doesnt want to bleed all the air out then try driving in a circle on a slope, that does the trick for mine.

Good luck and bleeding is straightforward, you just need a spanner for the bleed nipples, a peice of clear tubing that will fit over them, a pot with some brake fluid in and an assistant to push the brake pedal. You can find the steps and sequence easily enough but shout up here if you want to give it a go and arent sure.
Thanks for the reply,

This is the ATF fluid I was going to get to use in the PS and in the Trans .. I would need about 3 of them right? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/15125788

Good point about the brake fluid .. i was wondering that. My main concern is the front bleed nipples, I didn't see covers on those calipers so my fear is they would be rusted and potentially snap .. the backs had a a cover on them. I'll have to look closer and double check.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by boostmg
Thanks for the reply,

This is the ATF fluid I was going to get to use in the PS and in the Trans .. I would need about 3 of them right? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/15125788

Good point about the brake fluid .. i was wondering that. My main concern is the front bleed nipples, I didn't see covers on those calipers so my fear is they would be rusted and potentially snap .. the backs had a a cover on them. I'll have to look closer and double check.
I <think> the valvoline is ok, not a brand I use but yes you’ll need 3 gallons and should have some left over from 2 drop-and-fills.

Try and get a measuring oil drop pan so you can see how much drops, makes it easier to get close to the right amount back in.

Good point about the bleed nipples - soak with penetrating oil first if you can. If all else fails then remove what you can from the reservoir then push the caliper pistons right back in, as if you were putting new pads in, fill the reservoir then refit the calipers and pump them back out, checking the brake fluid level after every say 5 pumps, that way you will also change much of the caliper and lines fluid too.

Fingers crossed the nipples come undone, dont be tempted to use anything other than a spanner on them otherwise they can shear off if they are stuck.