Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

self oil changes......

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Default self oil changes......

i heard there is a special tool that you need in order to perform oil changes yourself. where can i get this tool?

Old 08-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Default RE: self oil changes......

i am intrigued....what kind of special tool??

Old 08-30-2005, 03:33 PM

i'm not even sure, my buddy said that he heard people had to take the car into the mazda center to get oil changes because a special tool was needed. i hope that is not true cause i'm gonna be doing my own oil changes pretty soon.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:33 PM

You must have the 4 cylinder engine correct. Tool needed is to replace the oil filter. It is a cartridge type and not a standard screw on. Assume you can probably get one aftermarket. specs for it is 75.6mm diameter with 14 flutes. Mazda part # is AK575140 and is available from MStore to dealer for $11.15. Will probably be some mark up on top. Make VERY sure that if you do your own oil changes that you change the large 'O' ring the seals the oil filter cartridge cover. A new one should be provided in box with the filter if bought from dealer. Have seen first hand and heard thru others that reusing the old 'O' ring increases chance that will get pinched when reinstalling filter cover and does not take very long to dump out entire crankcase when this happens. Have put in two engines after oil changed at quick lube due to this.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Administrator

babyhuey...so the filter is an exposed element style, similar to that of the mercedes benz and bmws?? while working as a tech, i know that the bimmer and benz's as well as a few other newer cars, use the exposed element filter...i think that GM's new ecotec uses an exposed element filter as well....but when i changed those, i just used a 22 or 24 mm socket...

Old 08-31-2005, 04:27 PM

would i need to buy a special tool for my 05 mazda6 3.0L? or just use socket wrench?

Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 PM

No special tool needed for v6. 15mm wrench for drain plug. plug washer is part of plug and not replaceable. regular screw on oil filter at front of engine by left exhaust manifold down pipe. Access from underneath only but could easily do in driveway. Oil will pour all over exhaust so have some brake clean handy to wash off.
Yes it is an exposed element style Patrick. Took picture of one today so you all could see. Black cap in center of pic is filter cover. It is only plastic so that is why tool is recommended.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/B973F4E6CD7E456B8307CF0FA809FBBD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Administrator

ok..that is similiar to what the old aurora has...thank you!

would a filter strap wrench work?

Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 PM

what is a filter strap wrench, is that the thing that tightens around the filter to pull it off?

Old 09-02-2005, 01:56 AM

Yes a filter strap wrench will work. Was what I had to use before Mazda came out with the special cap cover wrench. Strap wrench is exactly that. It tightens up around the filter as you pull on it and provides leverage to get tight filters off. Can't use one for your 6 gray_mazda_6 because there is not room to fit one up there. You will see first time you go to change oil!!

Quick Reply: self oil changes......