Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

$760 for a spark plug, coils and gasket change????

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:20 PM
Default $760 for a spark plug, coils and gasket change????

Just wondering if it was a lot lol

Old 05-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Hey ... I'm new to this Mazda tribute scene, in parts you are at about $100 retail I believe ... I heard it takes like 2 hours ... so max should be $250-350 of a job. You are talking about the intake gasket replacement right?

I have to do this plug job as preventative maintenance and I heard it's a pain b/c you have to take off the intake manifold.

But 760 is way much

Old 05-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by boostmg
Hey ... I'm new to this Mazda tribute scene, in parts you are at about $100 retail I believe ... I heard it takes like 2 hours ... so max should be $250-350 of a job. You are talking about the intake gasket replacement right?

I have to do this plug job as preventative maintenance and I heard it's a pain b/c you have to take off the intake manifold.

But 760 is way much
Yes. I’m replacing everything because my car has over 250k on it but it does seem a little bit too pricey

Old 05-30-2019, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdatributelx
Yes. I’m replacing everything because my car has over 250k on it but it does seem a little bit too pricey
Its pricey even if they mean the rocker cover gaskets but for just plugs, coils and manifold gaskets its way too much. I do it in an hour without rushing, Allow the dealer 2 because... but it still doesnt add up. Get them to itemise the quote, go elsewhere or do it yourself.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by simonsi
Its pricey even if they mean the rocker cover gaskets but for just plugs, coils and manifold gaskets its way too much. I do it in an hour without rushing, Allow the dealer 2 because... but it still doesnt add up. Get them to itemise the quote, go elsewhere or do it yourself.
I have to do this job. Do you have any advice or tips or things to watch out for? Any special tools I need or tools that can help or things I might break accidentally?

I have ignition coils, fel pro intake upper and lower gaskets, throttle body gasket, and plugs.

The plugs I bought i believe are bosch platinums and I got standard manufacturing ignition coils ... I don't have any issues w/ the current coils and plugs but the motors got 120k and I don't think they were ever changed.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by boostmg
I have to do this job. Do you have any advice or tips or things to watch out for? Any special tools I need or tools that can help or things I might break accidentally?

I have ignition coils, fel pro intake upper and lower gaskets, throttle body gasket, and plugs.

The plugs I bought i believe are bosch platinums and I got standard manufacturing ignition coils ... I don't have any issues w/ the current coils and plugs but the motors got 120k and I don't think they were ever changed.
Its pretty straightforward, vacuum pipes off the rear, seperate the EGR valve from the pipe into the manifold, air hose to the filter off, throttle cable off the top of the manifold then you’ll need an 8mm socket on an extension (I use a deep 1/4 drive socket and a 3/8 extension to reach down to the inner upper-to-lower manifold bolts), the ones nearer to you are in the open but the inner 4 are down in between the manifold branches.

when you lift off the manifold, put rags or kitchen towel into each of the 6 lower manifold openings so nothing gets dropped down them.

Then you can pull and replace the gaskets and change out the plugs and coils at leisure. I’d only unplug a single coil while you swap it out, the loom can allow you to connect them wrongly if you seperate all the coils.

when you have the coils out, check for oil around the plug, if there is any it indicates the circular seals around the plug tube is leaking and you’ll need the seals and a rocker cover gasket to change them - which is a lot easier if you already have the upper manifold already off...

Good luck and take a relaxing couple of hours over it, I’m quite practiced with our 2 Tribute V6’s but its an easy couple of hours.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mazdatributelx, do you have a quote? or a breakdown of costs?