Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

01 Tribute High Mount Brakelight

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Default 01 Tribute High Mount Brakelight

All of a sudden, my High Mount Brake light is not working. My other brake lights are fine. I assume that either the entire assembly has gone bad, or I have a loose connection somewhere - as I think the brake light is an assembly of leds??

Where should I look for loose connections?? Any ideas?

Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: 01 Tribute High Mount Brakelight

Actually Chazon, they are not LED bulbs but plain old incandesent like the rest of the bulbs in the car. Should be five of them, bulb Trade #194 available almost anywhere. There are wired in series so if one goes out the other four should still light up. Since is it fairly improbable that all 5 burnt out at the same time then would start looking for a connection problem right at the lamp assembly. Lightgreen wire is positive side and black is negative side of circuit. 12 volt test light across the two should tell you if the rest of the system is ok. Ground point is the same as for other brake light bulbs so would be less suspect. If no power to the lightgreen wire then there is only one other connection point in the system and this is for the rear hatch harness. It is located underneather the headliner just above the right rear window.

If you do find that you need to get to the bulbs then you will notice that the high mount stop lamp assembly is a sandwich of three different color plastics. Clear redfor the lens, Chrome for the reflector and Black for the bulb hold. Just separate the black section from chrome to get full access to the bulbs as needed. No need to separate the Red layer from chrome as bulbs are next to impossible to remove this way and it is a real bugger to separate the two.
You will probably also need a T-10 Torx bit to remove the two screw fasteners for the light assembly.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by babyhuey
Actually Chazon, they are not LED bulbs but plain old incandesent like the rest of the bulbs in the car. Should be five of them, bulb Trade #194 available almost anywhere. There are wired in series so if one goes out the other four should still light up. Since is it fairly improbable that all 5 burnt out at the same time then would start looking for a connection problem right at the lamp assembly. Lightgreen wire is positive side and black is negative side of circuit. 12 volt test light across the two should tell you if the rest of the system is ok. Ground point is the same as for other brake light bulbs so would be less suspect. If no power to the lightgreen wire then there is only one other connection point in the system and this is for the rear hatch harness. It is located underneather the headliner just above the right rear window.

If you do find that you need to get to the bulbs then you will notice that the high mount stop lamp assembly is a sandwich of three different color plastics. Clear redfor the lens, Chrome for the reflector and Black for the bulb hold. Just separate the black section from chrome to get full access to the bulbs as needed. No need to separate the Red layer from chrome as bulbs are next to impossible to remove this way and it is a real bugger to separate the two.
You will probably also need a T-10 Torx bit to remove the two screw fasteners for the light assembly.
You're right. Mine died 4/5 and I'm having a little difficulty at the moment to find the bulbs. Canadian Tire (in Toronto, Canada) doesn't carry them, so my only solution is online. They are easy to replace. I've already taken down the dead 4.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Anyone know where to buy these bulbs? I found a supplier in China and they won't ship any less than 100pcs. I need 4 or 5 tops =(

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM

Does your local Mazda dealer not sell it? I checked the price at local dealer and then went to Advance Auto parts to see if they sell cheaper one, but I ended up going back to the dealer. They were about $0.30 cheaper each Lol