Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Procedure to Repair Center High-Mount/3rd Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Question Procedure to Repair Center High-Mount/3rd Brake Light

I was wondering if any of you have the procedure to repair/replace the bulb.............or is it the whole light housing? I was able to successfully remove the interior trim cover by carefully prying it with my fingers. I disconnected the lamp cord (part TD11-51-571B) from one end but am struggling to pull out the socket from the light housing. I pressed on both sides of the socket to compress the two small plastic retarders and tried pulling it out to to luck. However, the socket can go in further if pushed with the plastic pieces on the side compressed. I still do not know whether I am on the right path. Thanks in advance for saving me a trip to the dealer.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Looking at my parts diagrams this light is replaced from the outside by removing the spoiler. Looks like 4 nuts inside the interior trim panel. Remove them to remove spoiler. High mount is held in by two bolts. It is an LED assembly. Part number is TD11-51-580C. List price is $209.77. We could get it shipped to you for $170.00. Let me know if you are interested we will set something up on our website or eBay.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:27 PM

Hello, I am only able to see 2 nuts inside behind the interior trim panel. I have marked them on picture below. Where are the remaining 2 nuts?

Attached Thumbnails Procedure to Repair Center High-Mount/3rd Brake Light-img_20150727_180944-bolts-circled.jpg  
Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

You may need to remove the corner trim panels to check for more nuts. There are also plastic clips that hold the the spoiler on. You just need to grab it & pull.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Agreed remove end panels to expose other two nuts.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 PM
nik

Originally Posted by Heritage Mazda
Agreed remove end panels to expose other two nuts.
which tool do we use to take out side panel nut. we got very little room to use regular wrench.

Last edited by nik; 08-26-2017 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2023, 11:53 AM
Default Replaced but still not working

Just replaced but still not working.
any ideas?

Old 02-10-2023, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyMD
Just replaced but still not working.
any ideas?
Monkey Welcome to the forum

Are all assuming you have the same Mazda model and year as the one in this thread. If not I recommend to start your own thread?

You might also add a little bit in your thread how you tested the connector and also if you knew in fact the bulb was burned out?

Old 02-10-2023, 01:07 PM

Actually I didn't know if the bulb was burnt out. It just wasn't turning on when the regular brake lights would.

I actually tested it by connecting a 12v source. That's all I had, but it turned on. So did the new one so I know both lights are functional.

​​​​​

Old 02-10-2023, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyMD
Actually I didn't know if the bulb was burnt out. It just wasn't turning on when the regular brake lights would.

I actually tested it by connecting a 12v source. That's all I had, but it turned on. So did the new one so I know both lights are functional.

​​​​​
The proper test next should be test the connector. To do that you will need a simple Volt or volt/ohm meter.

I might add again start your own thread. This thread and what you are asking does not correspond!
This thread is about the complete unit replacement not diagnosing an electrical problem.

Last edited by Callisto; 02-10-2023 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Procedure to Repair Center High-Mount/3rd Brake Light