Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Tube is cut, need help figuring out what it is

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Default Tube is cut, need help figuring out what it is

2003 Mazda Protege5. This tube is cut and seams to be leaking air while the engine is on. I can't find an engine bay diagram to find out what this tube is. Any ideas on what it is/does? Would it be okay to just wrap it with tape?

Attached Thumbnails Tube is cut, need help figuring out what it is-car.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

I am not a protégé expert, but that line looks like it's a vaccuum line going to that round item on the left which looks a brake booster. How's your brakes feeling. Wrap it with tape to get somewhere to get the part and put in on when you get there. Phone for part first. Wait for tanprotege to respond he's the protégé expert.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I am not a protégé expert, but that line looks like it's a vaccuum line going to that round item on the left which looks a brake booster. How's your brakes feeling.
The brakes feel fine. My car was recently towed twice in the last 2 weeks. They replaced the battery and the alternator belt. I opened up my hood and found this tube leaking air. A friend said that this could be the brake booster or the cruise control actuator, neither of which i know anything about. Is this something I can just tape up with electrical tape or send back to the shop?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snakkub
The brakes feel fine. My car was recently towed twice in the last 2 weeks. They replaced the battery and the alternator belt. I opened up my hood and found this tube leaking air. A friend said that this could be the brake booster or the cruise control actuator, neither of which i know anything about. Is this something I can just tape up with electrical tape or send back to the shop?
I would use a lot of tape, drive it there and leave it til fixed. You may want to e-mail them the pic and make sure they get part first, cause it would be easy to change as you wait.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I would use a lot of tape, drive it there and leave it til fixed. You may want to e-mail them the pic and make sure they get part first, cause it would be easy to change as you wait.
This is where it is cut, its still hanging on by a thread.

And im not sure if this has anything to do with this problem, but my car has an automatic transmission and when the car is parked and idling whatever is underneath the shifter is rumbling. It sounds like everything underneath it is shaking rapidly. no problems while driving though.

Attached Thumbnails Tube is cut, need help figuring out what it is-photo-4-.jpg   Tube is cut, need help figuring out what it is-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Snakkup: go to a auto parts store and get a length of this tubing for a couple of bucks. Put it in and it's fixed.
That shaky idle will be better as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Snakkup: go to a auto parts store and get a length of this tubing for a couple of bucks. Put it in and it's fixed.
That shaky idle will be better as well.
Thanks, this did the trick. But as for the shaking underneath the shifter... Whenever im on my brake, or using something electrical like if my lights are on, toggling the window switches, or anything like that... the rumbling stops. But when I let go it continues. I just recently got my battery and alternator belt replaced. Could this be the alternator?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM

Indirectly it is the alternator. It tells me the alternator is good. When you use an electrical devise the alternator kicks in to deliver the juice, powered by the idling engine. The idle speed controller keeps keeps the engine from dying. It raises the idle speed and that calms down the engine vibrations.

Make sure the battery cables are properly attached. Make sure the grounding wires and straps are attached with good clean contact areas. Make sure the cables on the alternator are properly attached.
Treat the engine as if it had rough idle concerns. Run a good fuel system cleaner through the tank.

It's 10 years old: give it new spark plugs and wires (if it has wires).

Just basic tune up stuff. Wait for Noggin to take over he is the basic tune up expert. That includes replacing the pcv!

Last edited by tanprotege; 04-09-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tanprotege
It's 10 years old: give it new spark plugs and wires (if it has wires).

Just basic tune up stuff. Wait for Noggin to take over he is the basic tune up expert. That includes replacing the pcv!
Thanx, you just made my day or made me laugh, maybe both!

First we would need to know much more info as per this thread: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new...-avatar-30905/

I'm sure he could go by many things from this thread by Tanprotege which is Protégé based: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...%E9g%E9-31136/

Most things pertain to any engine, and yes the PCV valve is my pet peave with Mazda's because it's not ever on there schedule to check it. Years ago this valve was changed every year.
Another pet peave is people leaving fluids in too long. Such as: so called lifetime tranny fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, brake fluid.

Another good thread on general maintenance and care for your car: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/gen...-engine-30949/