Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Default timing belt

Ok I have a 03 protege, water pump went, now I'm trying to find tdc of the engine I have all timing markings line up. I did this with the belt on first but I had to adjust the crank shaft. I did this by hand, then I read online this should be done. It starting to get me worried about cranking the motor on. I have read the haynes guide but that is only limited help is there a way to check if everything lined up properly? As for the cam shafts marks are still in line. And it looks like all the vavles are closed. Any help would be great so I don't end up putting more money into this project

Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Sorry I meant it shouldn't be turned with out a belt. Let's say I had to adjust cam shafts can this be done by had?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 PM

How much did you move the crankshaft? Since all the timing marks are lined up you probably did not move the crankshaft by much. One tooth, or less than one tooth.

First I would verify if this is an interference engine or a non-interference engine. If it is a non-interference engine than you can't damage the valves by cranking it over.

If it is an interference engine than it depends on how far off your timing is. one tooth off is probably o.k. Your engine won't run right, but it shouldn't self destruct. I cannot guaranty this though.

I would hand crank it with the plugs pulled and really slow. You can also put a wooden dowel into each spark plug hole and see it rise and drop with the piston. Just make it long enough so it doesn't drop into the cylinder. Obvioulsy, you have the valve cover off so you know which piston is in the danger zone.
If you successfully turned it over one time in the proper direction and the timing marks line up properly you should be good to go. You have to go in the proper direction because there is some slack in the mechanism that will mess up the timing marks if you go the other way around.

I hope that helps. Take care.

I didn't have your particular problem yet, but we had to determine TDC on a motorcycle one time and we used the stick method.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM

These are non-interference engines from what I have determined.I hope you changed the tensioner and idler.I have an 03' with 129k miles.Seeing how you did the belt earleir and not the water pump when you were in there.My tensioner was very hard to move, but the belt looked good and probably would of jumped time eventually before the belt broke.I did the pump(could feel a slight rough spot as I turned it) and put the timing belt kit in it so I would not have to keep tearing things apart.Also, my timing belt pastic cover on top was cracked and bolt hole tabs were broke so I had to buy new of those.good luck

Last edited by newyota; 09-05-2011 at 08:55 AM.