Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Rear washer pump won't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Default Rear washer pump won't work

My rear window washer pump suddenly stopped working. I was told by the service dept that Mazda's wiper motor and washer pump motors are one and the same. So if I want to repair the problem, I'll have tobuy a newwiper/washer motor.

FYI: When I first bought this car, it had the same problem, but after a visit to the shop, it was fixed fairly easily. That was 2 years ago. Now the problem has come up again. I went to a different Mazda dealer and they are telling me that I have to buy a whole new pump and that it has to be shipped infrom Japan at $300+ dollars! It's too much. I was going to look for a good used pump from a salvage shop or buy an after market pump, but I have a question: is there arear washer pump which is separate from the front washer pump?Or are the pumps the same? I looked at the manuals and it's a bit confusing. Also do I have to replace the entire pump, or is there something the Mazda techs are not telling me as the solution might be much easier and cheaper than they're saying.

I'd appreciate any comments from the experts on this site. Many thanks in advance.

Michelle

Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Default RE: Rear washer pump won't work

Is it just the washer that isn't working, or both the washer and the wiper?? If it is just the washer, THEY LIE!!!!! You can replace just the washer motor, it is on the washer bottle under the hood. Follow the link below

http://protege5.ugly.net/#ac This is shop manual for the 2002 protege. I'm assuming you have a Protege5, You do not mention it.

Go to section 9-19. This goes over the washer wiper system. Read the whole section over. Pay particular attention to page 7, the diagram is helpful.
Check the connections first, they tend to corrode. Also, check the nozzles, you can unblock them with a needle.
Here is an Autozone link the Washer Motor. It is $18
http://www.autozone.com/N,15700155//...eResultSet.htm

Then you can go back to the dealer and teach those morons how to do it. They were trying to screw you, and not in good way.

Chris

Old 11-22-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks SO much for this info. As the unit can get washer fluid to my front window, but not to the rear, I was puzzled. I was told by them that the washer wiper motor needed to be completely replaced which infuriated and confusedme. Thanks for shedding light on this situation! You ROCK!

Michelle

Old 11-22-2007, 06:37 PM

That's a fairly straight forward job now that you know which way to go and have the steps to do it. If you got some basic tools ,sockets and screwdrivers. etc., and are a little mechanically inclined. Try it.

Also, that link I sent you is for a complete shop manual for a 2002 protege. Go to each section and copy it to your hard drive, that way you always have it. That book is $150 if you were to buy it and it will save you thousands, literally.

Try to clean out the nozzles first. They wouldn't have a section in the book if it wasn't a common problem.