Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Need help Diagnosing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Question Need help Diagnosing.

Im in need of help unfortunately, Im about to have to sell my protege but I got one problem. I was changing the water pump, i only took off the pulley and the water pump to remove the pump.. Iv recently had transmission rebuilt and i was on my way to work, I felt a thud then it died on me. I went to a parking lot and it wouldnt start up until after I got off work. I was able to make it to my exit off the highway and it died at the redlight again.. and wouldnt start until it cooled off.. Got it home now it wont start at all.. Im thinking its some kind of sensor, I dont know which kind. Has anyone had this type of problem? I do remember that not long before it had a rough idle at redlights and would die unless i kept rpms up... Idk what I should do because check engine light wont come on.... Im definately not trying to rip someone off but I have to sell it.. Please help!.. Thanks

Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 PM

You probably forgot to plug the cam sensor back in.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM

I plugged it back in. Iv opend hood 5 times since double checking everything. Its all plugged up.. It wont turn over at all right now. Transmission sensor? Maybe the timing sensor? It should be timed correctly considering it started and i drove to work the night after.. Idk tho.. Im learning as im going. I only removed the cam sensor so I could get the timing cover off so I could get to the silver pulley off to take off waterpump... but i plugged it in.... this sucks lol.. Starter?? I did try to start it alot that day it quit on me, but the reason it died while driving plus the reason it wont start up are my troubles..

Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM

So you say it wont turn over, lets clarify that, do you mean it wont start or the engine physically will not rotate? Have to ask since some people say it wont turn over when they mean it wont start but does rotate.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Let's start at square one: which year protege do you have, which engine? Is the CEL on? Do you have the codes?
Is the battery in tip top shape and fully charged?