Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Need Help Diagnosing Speed 3 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Default Need Help Diagnosing Speed 3 Problem

Was hoping that someone could help. Bought a brand new Speed 3 last Wednesday at Hayward Mazda (had 38 mi on it and had the No. 4 Engine Mount Bolt (Mazda recall) replaced before accepting it). I drove it back to SF (35 mi) without any problems and parked it for 20 min(good neighbourhood). Afterwards, got back into the car and drove it 1/2 mi and the clutch started sticking (I would press the clutch the entire length of travel, shift, let up on the pedal, which would spring back about an inch only, but not the full distance - had to lift the pedal with the back of my foot). This happened twice (over about ~2 blocks) then the car stalled (some smoke was coming out of the hood and I smelled something- probably the clutch-burning). The engine would start but I could not engage the transmission with the engine on (could do it with it turned off). I had it towed back to the dealership and they said it was the PCV valve but I have doubts (since an earlier tech said that they were replacing the clutch master/slave cylinders). Things that didn't happen: never rode the clutch, never overrev'd the engine (I babied this thing for the 2 hrs I had it), temp never went past halfway, never ground the gears, no "safety" lights went on, and have been driving stick for 17 years (yeah, I'm old). It's a week later and it's still at the dealership. I want them to replace the clutch but they refuse to. Anyone have this happen to them or have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Help Diagnosing Speed 3 Problem

I saw you were online and was wondering if there is any news on this?

Old 07-24-2007, 04:37 PM

First, they replaced the slave and master clutch cylinders. Then they got air in the system and had to wait for a special tool to force the air out by pressure. That didn't fix the problem so they finally opened up the transmission (AFTER having the district manager come in and say that "the clutch was fine"). The clutch friction plate binding had come undone which tore the clutch plate to shreds. I suspect that this is the problem that everybody seems to be having when their clutch dies on them suddenly. The GM had tried to blame this on me - said I burnt the clutch. Now waiting for parts. 13 days and counting without my car...

Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM

Add this to the problems & solutions thread if it solves the problem.

Yesterday at the dealer I noticed a brand new Miata (window sticker)on the rack and the entire drivetrain was sitting on the ground. The tech said it was a dealer trade and the clutch had gone out. I wonder if it was driven hard or had a similar issue?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

[:@]
AfterONE DAY??
You need to report that dealer to MazdaUSA, Dude. Nobody should be able to screw up a clutchin ome day.
Do they really expect repeat business w/an attitude like that?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 AM

THATS CRAZY, NO EXUSE - GO AS HIGH UP AND KEEP GOING TO GET THAT RESOLVED. Keep track of who/when you speak to anyone and there answers as well for future reference. Document a letter as well and as virgin advised SEND IT AND CALL IT IN TO mazdausa.

That really burns my *** you know. You work hard for your money and dealers complain that they get a bad rap and they are nice and care and the consumers are crazy now and wrong for using the internet to buy/shop for cars. You make a damn purchase and something goes wrong and they freakin again try and screw you and blame you for the damn problem. OH MAN they are all freakin assheads. I a sorry for getting worked up but I just hate to see people get screwed for something you work hard for. I need a drink now.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Rum & Coke?[sm=drooldude.gif] [sm=goodidea.gif] [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 07-28-2007, 11:27 AM

Picked up the car yesterday. The problem was that the clutch was completely shredded (see pic below). After trying to drive the car, the mechanics figured the clutch plate was busted up but they were handcuffed by the Mazda Techline Procedures and ended up replacing a bunch of clutch components before finally opening up the tranny. Mazda Corporate replaced essentially the entire clutch system (said it was a "onetime goodwill gesture"). The mechanics still don't know what went wrong - said the only time they've ever seen a clutch like that was after a hard race but admitted it's impossible to burn out a clutch in 38 miles (and I never drove it hard). Bottom line: I have my car back, it drives great, and Mazda Customer Assistance is 1-800-USE-LESS. The clutch is nice and tight and it shifts well. Only bad thing is that the burnt clutch smell lingers and will probably take a while to get out of the engine.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Wow. I need to bow down if you did that in 2 blocks and less then a day....that's impressive. Let Mazda know, and the owner of the dealer what happened, try not to be angry with them (mazda or the owner), its not their fault, but they can help fix it for the next guy. Sorry to hear about the tranny, glad you have it back.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Dayem, Dude!! I've never seen a clutch that badly torn up! You musta' been going for theWIN, huh?
j/k
'Glad to hear you've got the problem cleared up and that you've also got your "new" car back. Sorry to hear you had to go through so much BS to get there though. You should sue them for slander!! You know, America? "Innocent until proven guilty?" Well, it used to be that way at least.
"One Time Goodwill Gesture," my ***!!If it's a design or manufacturing problem they should have to replace it for you every other day ifit needs it.
You DO know how to drive a stick, right?
(Ah, there's that sense of humor again...)

Quick Reply: Need Help Diagnosing Speed 3 Problem