Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

HELP! Need help with installing a cassette player in a 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Default HELP! Need help with installing a cassette player in a 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback

Ok I know this sounds crazy but I bought a cassette player for my car to play my ipod with. FM transmitters suck and this is the last option. I want to try installing it myself but there is nothing on the internet about how to do this. Anybody that can help would be great!!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

First off welcome.

Second off installing the cassette deck should be relatively easy.

Third off the cassette deck (and adapter) are far from the last option. There are a plethora of aftermarket audio inputs and ipod integration modules available that work with the 2004 model that will all be easier to install, and give you better overall sound quality. If you just want a simple audio input (i.e. 3.5mm or RCA input) then you can get one for about $60-80. If you want ipod integration (i.e. connects to dock connector, charges the ipod, and lets you control it from the stereo) then you can get those from ~$75-200 depending on options/bells/whistles. For details on a great many options please see my thread HERE. I realize you already have the tape deck and if you want to install it then by all means go ahead. That said I recommend going with one of these other methods just so you'll get better sound.

As for installing the cassette deck you should need about 20 minutes and a phillips screwdriver.
-First open the glove compartment
-Next grab the dash trim piece (that surrounds the LCD) just to the right of the LCD and pull to release the tension clips (should be 2-3 between the LCD and the right side). Don't pull the far right straight out as it's a hook.... once you have the clips between the end and the LCD loose lightly bend the strip and the hook will come loose. Then just pull the last clip to the left of the LCD free
-You'll see four phillips head screws above the HU. Remove the bottom two (the top two are for the upper dash piece)
-Grab the top of the HU (not by the face plate) and pull the HU firmly to release the tension clips. Once it's clear make sure the metal frame doesn't bang into the dash and scratch it up. Remove the main harness plug and antenna connection.

There are many pictures to go along with this located in THIS walkthrough... incidentally for one of the ipod modules.
Also check out THIS for more removal pics as well as some shots of the HU disassembled.

-remove the lower front trim of the HU.... I believe there should be several screws visible from the rear to remove this. Honestly I've not taken one off, but it should be pretty evident once you have the stereo out.
-connect the tape deck to the connector on the bottom of the HU.
-replace the face plate with the tape deck one
-reinstall in reverse order.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by icspots
First off welcome.

Second off installing the cassette deck should be relatively easy.

Third off the cassette deck (and adapter) are far from the last option. There are a plethora of aftermarket audio inputs and ipod integration modules available that work with the 2004 model that will all be easier to install, and give you better overall sound quality. If you just want a simple audio input (i.e. 3.5mm or RCA input) then you can get one for about $60-80. If you want ipod integration (i.e. connects to dock connector, charges the ipod, and lets you control it from the stereo) then you can get those from ~$75-200 depending on options/bells/whistles. For details on a great many options please see my thread HERE. I realize you already have the tape deck and if you want to install it then by all means go ahead. That said I recommend going with one of these other methods just so you'll get better sound.

As for installing the cassette deck you should need about 20 minutes and a phillips screwdriver.
-First open the glove compartment
-Next grab the dash trim piece (that surrounds the LCD) just to the right of the LCD and pull to release the tension clips (should be 2-3 between the LCD and the right side). Don't pull the far right straight out as it's a hook.... once you have the clips between the end and the LCD loose lightly bend the strip and the hook will come loose. Then just pull the last clip to the left of the LCD free
-You'll see four phillips head screws above the HU. Remove the bottom two (the top two are for the upper dash piece)
-Grab the top of the HU (not by the face plate) and pull the HU firmly to release the tension clips. Once it's clear make sure the metal frame doesn't bang into the dash and scratch it up. Remove the main harness plug and antenna connection.

There are many pictures to go along with this located in THIS walkthrough... incidentally for one of the ipod modules.
Also check out THIS for more removal pics as well as some shots of the HU disassembled.

-remove the lower front trim of the HU.... I believe there should be several screws visible from the rear to remove this. Honestly I've not taken one off, but it should be pretty evident once you have the stereo out.
-connect the tape deck to the connector on the bottom of the HU.
-replace the face plate with the tape deck one
-reinstall in reverse order.
Hey man, those links aren't working anymore... You still got a copy?