Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Mazda Protege Overheat, No Compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Default Mazda Protege Overheat, No Compression

hello..i have a 03 mazda protege 2.0 turbo in my shop..and afer speaking with the customer i finally got the info i needed after replacing the water pump,timing belt..and then learning that it had over heated....several times..i sent the head in to be serviced and shaved if necessary..quickly learned that it was just to far gone..so after examining the cylinder walls,and findin numerous surface scratches on the no.2 and 4 cylinders...and take into consideration,,they werent very deep..ony your fingernail could feel the scratches..i advised them that i thought the damage was already done that needed to just replace the engine..because the rings were more than likely already damaged just enough to hurt it.but my boss bein the regular average village idiot that he is does not listen to a mech thats been been doin this for 22 years..goes behind my back and talks the man into just replacing the head..and now after several hours of wasted labor..the engine has no compression...new head,,new timing..perfectly in time..and new oil,i even went as far as placing about 3 ounces of oil in 1 cylinder to try and create compression for a wet test..still nothing..any ides????

Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM

I am not a pro, so I am just throwing this out: I would perform a leak down test. It will show where the compression is lost.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Well there have been a few times that after overheating multiple times it warps more then the head and the block surface will no longer be true anymore. Also multiple overheating issues will destroy the rings. So your best bet as advised by tanprotege is the leak down test.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM

That should be the FE engine with the FS9 head IIRC

It has a MLS HG, and any more that about .0015 -.002 the head will not seal properly.

Also the surface finish is very important on a MLS HG.

If it was belt surfaced, then the surface finish is iffy at best.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/gen...urfaced-21535/

Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM

i greatly appreciate all the replies,,and they did help..up to certain degree..but i found the problem..my sorry excuse for an employer...moved some items on me without my knowledge,,and i later found that the line up points were not correct..causing it to lose all compression..so i lined up the cam timing correctly and it now runs..and has great compression..but still has lil bit of a skip to it.i think it may be due to the scaring in the cylinder walls..im letting the guy drive it for a week and bringing back to for further diag,

thanks again guys

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM

How bad was the head warped?

Normally once a head gets warped .012 or more, the valve seats shift in the head casting and that allows a small unseating of the valve to seat that can cause a skip.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 AM

all i know is that he said it would have to line bored and shaved..i didnt get the exact specs on it..but the guy did say it pretty much to far gone..and it would be lucky to run well..after the fact,,so i discussed that with the customer and just informed him that he just needed a new one..and not to take that chance..lol
so he took that advice and we got the new one..and now it runs great..still got a skip in it though..