Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Mazda 1,5 Familia (protege)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 AM

Janipaa:

I am not sure if these are more problems. It is possible that the new symptoms are the result of the new parts you have put in the car. They may indicate a step in the right direction. After buying our ,98 protege I did many of the things you are doing and it gradually improved.

Earlier I suggested cleaning the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. Have you had a chance to do that?
While doing that you can also clean the IAC valve, the EGR valve (scrape it out, make sure the valve moves freely) and the EGR passages.
Test the TPS with a voltmeter (instructions on Youtube by richpin).
Test if the EGR has any effect: put a cover in place of the gasket under the EGR valve. you can make one out of an aluminum can.
Also, is it possible you missed a vacuum leak? Try another method, maybe a smoke test.
What grade of gasoline do you use? I suggest using high octane.

Have you had a chance to check the compression?

If we can't find a fault on the intake side we must consider back pressure on the exhaust side. Maybe the catalytic converter or the muffler are plugged up.

Obvioulsy, I am shooting in the dark. But he more we know the better.

Last edited by tanprotege; 03-12-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 AM

Im using E95 but sometimes im using E98 at this moment i have E98 at my tank. When i changed the idle air control i cleaned the throttle body. I cleaned IAC valve when i installed it if IAC= idle air control.
I will take EGR out next and clean it and i will check again vacuum leaks. What you mean about compression? Do you mean that i will check all cylinders pressure?

Lets hope that cleaning EGR helps to drpop down my idle speed. What if i set the idle speed again? and is it normal that Idle air control makins huming noise and it wont stop at all when power is switched ON?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 AM

With compression I meant the compression in each cylinder. This is a basic health check.
If the EGR valve does not close correctly it will add exhaust gases into the intake manifold at the wrong time. It could affect the idle speed when the controller tries to keep the engine from stalling.
I am not sure if the IAC should make a humming sound. I never noticed it on any of my vehicles. Hopefully someone else cn comment on that.
Another idea I had was this: maybe the fuel pressure is unstable. That could happen if the pick up in the tank got dirty or the fuel pump is going bad, or the fuel pressure regulator. It would be good to know what the fuel pressure does.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
With compression I meant the compression in each cylinder. This is a basic health check.
If the EGR valve does not close correctly it will add exhaust gases into the intake manifold at the wrong time. It could affect the idle speed when the controller tries to keep the engine from stalling.
I am not sure if the IAC should make a humming sound. I never noticed it on any of my vehicles. Hopefully someone else cn comment on that.
Another idea I had was this: maybe the fuel pressure is unstable. That could happen if the pick up in the tank got dirty or the fuel pump is going bad, or the fuel pressure regulator. It would be good to know what the fuel pressure does.
Vehicle inspection is done now we adjusted the idle speed using the screw what is in throttle body my idle speed is now ~800rpm but noticed that with cold motor my idle speed is only 1500rpm and i think it should me more than 2000rpm?

Anyways i will clean the EGR valve and change the fuel regulator because i think its not working like it should it keeps very odd noise. Lets hope i get some power back to my car because its not working as it should it was better when i got this car there needs to be something wrong. i allready changed fuel filter earlier this week but i will check the filter what is inside the tank.

Thank you very much about these tips. And yes btw i am from Finland land of the Mika Häkkinen and Kimi räikkönen and if you check ice hockey Teemu Selänne is also from here I will return to this forum if i need more assistance we don't have active Mazda forum in Finland.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM

You are welcome Janipaa!

Kimi is the coolest guy in the F1 circus. Kimi on the radio:"I know what to do!"

BTW, 3 years ago we spent a few hours in Helsinki. Our flight had a layover. It is a lovely city.