Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Hi all! newbie form NC Protege woes :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Default Hi all! newbie form NC Protege woes :(

Well i've exhausted my google searches and landed here. I hope someone can help me identify my 00 protege problem.
First the car has been into shops a number of times with no resolutions.
The problem.
The car has a very hard time starting in hot weather.
I hear the fuel pump (already replaced as well) kick on but as i'm cranking.. nothing. I have to either crank / wait / crank / wait or turn the key cranking and stopping machine gun style to get it to go.
This ONLY happens on warm day. .Never on cooler days.. If it's below 70 degrees.. always starts first time.. Above 70-75 esp in sun is hitting hood.. Then trouble starting.
Anyone know what this could possibly be? I've spent $$$ in many shops with no resolution. No codes tell the story, many components replaced.. Nothing works.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 PM

That's a tough one to figure out. I suggest to do a few easy things first.

I am thinking that an electrical contact is getting weak when the heat expands material. any way that is the working theory for this suggestion: disconnect, inspect and clean all electrical cables and harnesses. Add dielectric grease. Do not forget the ground straps and the contact surfaces at the body, engine and trans axle.

Next I would test or replace for a known good one the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor and the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. Also make sure there is no air trapped in the cooling system.

Clean the throttle body, egr valve and the egr passages. Make sure the nipple for the EGR boost sensor is not clogged up. Use a strong pointed wire to push through the nipple.

Test for vacuum leaks. Look for any weak rubber hoses.

Has any of your mechanics actually used a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge?

you noticed i am not high on replacing stuff. I rather clean and keep using what I have.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:54 AM

All good information.. I've begun the quest.
Another thing.. This morning I ran out to see if it would start since it was cooler and sure enough.. It started first thing. Tried a few more times with success.. Then on the fourth try it hesitated.
Also I never hear the fuel pump prime when i turn the key over the first time (prior to complete starting in ACC?) only after it fails to start the first time will i hear the pump prime. Also the additional times it fails to start when cranked, i hear the priming but never on the initial keying.
As far as fuel pressure.. I have no way to test it as a leak down but.. The car sat in the sun all day yesterday and if heat was causing the pressure to drop for some reason, then this morning it shouldn't have started at all first try?