Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Help my Protege isn't working

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Default Help my Protege isn't working

I love my Mazda Protege 94 16-valve automatic car. It's my first car. I have had it for abouta year but started driving it around April 2006. It worked great all summer. But as soon as it turned winter my car just started having problems. I thought it was the weather doing it. But it broke down on me. It stalled. I thought it could be the battery. Got a new battery installed it it worked fine for two days but stalled after that. Got a new alternater worked fine for about two weeks but it stalled then. So I got a new silinoid for the starter because I thought the Stater was draining the power from it. But it wasn't the silinoid. What is wrong with my freakin car? Can someone help me?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Default RE: Help my Protege isn't working

So what you are saying is that the car will stall and then will not restart because the battery is dead and will not allow the engine to be cranked over to start?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM

If you have power leakage somwhere in you car, it can make your alternator goes wrong and burn the alternator. Once your alternator broken your battery is never getting charged and after while you can not start your car. Since your problem solved for a while both when you put new battery and alternator I think you might have power leakage. Check for that and if it is true after you fixed it then check your alternator again and if it was broken get new one.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:41 PM

it sounds like you either have a loose ground wire somewhere or you have a place where a hot wire is grounding out to the frame. the cold will make this problem worse because metal tends to shrink when it is cold but it wouldn't cause this problem. leave the key turned off and take the positive off of the battery. put it back on and jiggle it a little. if it sparks, you have a short somewhere in your wiring. it may spark where the short is but you might not be able to find it. if it doesn't spark, check the ground wire that goes from the negative to the body. clean all contacts, tighten it, and try it all again and if that doesn't help, check the ground and hot wires on the alternator. if one of those is disconnected, the alternator will not recharge the battery and could cause what you are describing.
if my advice doesn't help, oh well. it was all free.