Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Exhaust and O2 sensor on 1994 Mazda Protege

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM

It shouldn't be a risk at all. If you have a picture of something, sell what is in the picture. I didn't get what is in the picture tho. I view it this way, I ordered a Mazda part but may as well have got a part for a VW bug, even tho the part was for a Mazda, it was the wrong one. I was very careful to look at that picture to make sure I was getting the right part. I wish they were as careful in either putting up the right picture or picking the right part.

This is one thing I like about ebay, they have a picture of exactly what you are buying. If you don't get what is in the picture, then they have to fix it. I hope they will stand behind their sale tho. They told me with pictures they were selling one thing but actually sent me something else. That's not right. I might add, this is the first time of all the things I have bought over the internet where I got the wrong thing.

I don't mind shipping it back but do not think I should pay anything else for a mistake that was not mine.

Here is some pics of what I got:

That O2 sensor port is not going to do me much good. It is completely filled in. I even felt inside the tube and it is solid.

This is what I ordered:

94 1994 Mazda Protege Exhaust Pipe - Exhaust - Bosal, Front - PartsGeek

You click on the image and a larger image will open. You think those two are the same thing? In the description, it says "Exhaust Pipe -- w/ O2 sensor". Does that O2 sensor look like it is going to do me any good? That part does not fit the image or the description.

I think they messed up. I think they picked the right part number but the picture on their site is not the right one. That picture, it's the only thing I really have to go by. They don't put OEM part numbers on their site so I can't even go by that. That picture is the only thing I have to really go on other than it should fit a 1994 Mazda Protege. Wrong picture equals wrong part. They put up the wrong picture and that is not my fault. Again, it shouldn't be a risk you take. You should get what you order.

You think they made a mistake? I do myself. Your opinion.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 AM

"Exhaust Pipe -- w/ O2 sensor"

So you say there should have been an O2 sensor bolted in?

I think they meant "Exhaust Pipe with a threaded hole for an O2 sensor, O2 sensor sold separately." Anyway that is how I would have understood the ad.

The only difference in the pictures that I see is that the pipe you received has a plug in the sensor mounting boss and the picture on the site has an open boss. It also looks to me that the plug can be unscrewed with and Allan wrench.

Anyway it is a legal question and I refer you to the contract you engaged in when ordering.

Case closed for me.

Last edited by tanprotege; 10-23-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
"Exhaust Pipe -- w/ O2 sensor"

So you say there should have been an O2 sensor bolted in?

I think they meant "Exhaust Pipe with a threaded hole for an O2 sensor, O2 sensor sold separately." Anyway that is how I would have understood the ad.

The only difference in the pictures that I see is that the pipe you received has a plug in the sensor mounting boss and the picture on the site has an open boss.

Anyway it is a legal question and I refer you to the contract you engaged in when ordering.

Case closed for me.
No, the pipe I got is for cars with NO O2 sensor. That's why the one I have is plugged up. It is not for MY model car. The website says it is, the picture from the website shows it is exactly like what is on my car but what I got is not what is described.

I wasn't expecting it to come with the O2 sensor. Heck, the O2 sensor costs more than the pipe. Only a stupid person would expect that. I'm not stupid.

The other difference is the part where it expands. That part is flexible and the one I got is MUCH shorter. Mine goes all the way to the end where the flange connects to the cat converter.

If you can't see the differences, may I suggest you need to get your eyes checked again. Plugged up O2 sensor port, which I must have, and the flexible part is to short. This is not the same part. This part will not work. Heck, my 79 year old Mom can see the difference. She doesn't even know much about cars.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Dalek:

You are right and I was wrong. They sent you the wrong part. I hope for you they will make it good when you contact them.
But read their return rules so you are prepared for what they may say. Try to stay friendly in the conversation.

Sorry again, and your mom rocks!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM

I was hoping you would take a second look. I did some searching. The one I got fits the smaller 1.5L SOHC engine from the way it sounds. Mine is a 1.8L with DOHC which leads to lots more torque and means the engine twists a lot more. That's what that expanding part is for. I bet that if I put that part on my car and pressed the gas for a quick launch, it would break something. The pipe I got would bind up something and whatever is weakest would give it up. That's not good. The difference can be really seen after I jacked my car up and put them side by side. That expanding part is twice as long on my old one.

Then add in the plugged up sensor. That is just plain dead in the water. I can't run my car without the sensor.

I'm fine with shipping it back, it's not that heavy or anything. The only worry I have is if they want me to pay a restocking fee or something. If they do, I may just sell it locally and then buy from someone else and not recommend them in the future. I should have got it at rockauto. I've had great luck there. I've had better luck there than at the local parts place. lol

I still have not heard back from them tho. Maybe tomorrow. I really want to get this fixed tho. Now that the rest of my exhaust system is quiet, that little hole is noisy.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 AM

I believe they confused the pipes for the 1,8 and the 1.5 engines. In fact i was thinking of mentioning this possibility in an earlier post.
It doesn't matter where they made the mistake, on the website or in the warehouse. It's their mistake.

We shall find out if they care about their customers.

BTW I have a few items lying around because of unclear or plain wrong on-line information.
Rock-Auto sent me some wrong rear brake lines.
Bike Nashbar made the most frustrating error: they advertised rims with 36 holes and when I put them in I had 4 extra spokes dangling from the hub. Anyone need 32 hole ATB rims?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Well, I got a RMA to return the part. Now to figure out which is the right part. I may order from them again since they did stand behind the sale. They do have good prices too.

I'm also going to go see if they corrected their website yet too. lol

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Well, thought I would update a bit. I shipped the part then Frankenstein Sandy hit the East coast about two days later. UPS couldn't get there so it sat in a truck somewhere while waiting for them to do some cleanup. It got there today tho. Partsgeek said they do credits on Wednesday and Friday. So, maybe it will be credited soon.

I also got a email from them after the storm so they did live through it at least. Maybe their building is on a hill. lol

Now I got to go ask another question in another thread. Will update later. So far, they are doing good on fixing this.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 PM

Well, I got a 100% refund except for shipping of course. I'm going to figure out a way to insure I get the right part this time tho. Trying to work up a plan on that one.

As it stands, Partsgeek did good. Even tho they had a really bad storm, they are making good on their sale. Given all that has happened with the storm and all, they are going pretty fast. I have no idea how much damage they have but according to google maps, they are right in the thick of it all. Pretty close to dead center really.

Post back when I get the new one and such. Let everyone know if the old sensor that has been in there for some 18 years will actually come out.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 AM

Glad to hear this!! Hope you get your part soon and hope they keep going. Shoot some PB Blaster on the sensor and let it soak while you wait, that stuff is the best I have ever used for rusty/stuck bolts and things that are threaded.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and O2 sensor on 1994 Mazda Protege