Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Exhaust and O2 sensor on 1994 Mazda Protege

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Default Exhaust and O2 sensor on 1994 Mazda Protege

Howdy,

I recently went to the local muffler place and got the exhaust system replaced from the cat converter to the bumper. The pipe that comes from the manifold to the cat is a custom pipe that they can't make since it has that expansion joint for when the engine is twisting from torque. Anyway, the thing is a LOT quieter now. However, I do have a leak right between where the O2 sensor fitting is and the wield where the flange is put on. While not bad, he said it would be a good idea to replace it since it will eventually affect the O2 sensor and what it thinks is coming through. He doesn't have the pipe and he even admitted his supplier was very high for the pipe. I told him I would find one and go from there. The reason I went to them, they can custom build everything that they did replace. They bend their own pipes and wield everything into place. They do some really great work.

So, I have shopped around and found three places online that are reasonable on their prices. Rockauto is one and I have done business with them several times for things like wires, plugs and other maintenance items. No complaints but they are a bit higher than the other two. The other two are autopartsway.com and partsgeek.com which I have never even heard of. The cheaper ones come in at about $172.00 and rockauto comes in at about $190.00. That includes pipe, two gaskets and a O2 sensor. I know rockauto is the right parts for sure. I'm pretty sure everything is right with the other two but have a little room for concern with the O2 sensor. I looked up the part number on the manufacturer website but both places replace the OEM part number with their own. So, I don't know if I am getting the right thing with 100% certainty. Sort of thinking about going with rockauto and leaving off the O2 sensor for now.

My reason for the post is this. This car has 192,000 miles on it. I bought it new and whenever something acts up, I replace it. The O2 sensor is the original sensor from the factory, it has never even been touched. Should I replace it even tho there is no reason to think it needs it? The check engine light seems to think it works fine. It costs $80.00 just for it, depending on which place I order from. I gave it a good looking over and I'm pretty sure I can get it out without it messing something up. Just put a little PB blaster on it and let it soak a bit then try to screw it out. When looking at it, it is clean and such. It could get messed up while taking it off but pretty sure I can get it off in good condition.

Thoughts on transferring the old O2 sensor to the new pipe? Risky? Should work fine? May help and me not know it? Flip a coin? lol

Also, anyone ever done business with those other two places? Good folks or would pour more gas on them if they were on fire?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:19 PM

OK now. Surely someone has taken a O2 sensor off and knows if they can be reused if working fine before removal. I'm not looking for a definitive answer but some guidance. I'm sitting on a fence here and need someone to tilt me one way or the other. lol

If you have taken one off that has been on a really long time, did it survive the removal process? Would me replacing it anyway maybe give me better gas mileage or something that may make it pay off?

Just give me a nudge folks.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM

If the old O2 sensor is fine keep using it.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. At least now I know that if I get it out and don't damage it, I should be OK. Still room for error but at least there is a second opinion on this. I have never even replaced a O2 sensor before but have read they are picky little things. Odd since they can take so much heat. lol

I read somewhere the other day that the end that goes into the pipe should not be touched, oil on the skin I guess. I know this is true on some light bulbs but first I ever read on a O2 sensor. You, or anyone else, ever heard of this? I'm planning to not touch it anyway just in case.

Again, thanks for the reply. Now to go order that nice new pipe.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 PM

The sensors react to a differential of the O2 present in the exhaust gases and the O2 present in the air. That differential creates a voltage that the computer reads. If the internal part is coated with stuff, lets say silicone deposits from a cheap gasket maker than the exhaust gases can't get to the sensor surface.
If on the external side the slots for the air are obstructed than we have a similar situation.
So: best is to keep things untouched. I often run my hand through the hair and the shampoo I use may have silicone in it. There is a chance to transfer silicone to anything I touch.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
The sensors react to a differential of the O2 present in the exhaust gases and the O2 present in the air. That differential creates a voltage that the computer reads. If the internal part is coated with stuff, lets say silicone deposits from a cheap gasket maker than the exhaust gases can't get to the sensor surface.
If on the external side the slots for the air are obstructed than we have a similar situation.
So: best is to keep things untouched. I often run my hand through the hair and the shampoo I use may have silicone in it. There is a chance to transfer silicone to anything I touch.
Well, I have severe psoriasis and I put on baby oil. It's not silicone but is still a oil. I know that halogen light bulbs will burn out quick when you touch them and leave the oil on there. I always clean mine with some type of cleaner after putting them in. They say the oil just boils a hole in the glass. I sort of figured when I read the same for O2 sensors that it could be true. I know I see on a lot of auto things that says it 'contains no silicone' and is 'sensor safe' and such that there must be something that can't be put on there.

So, when I take that thing off, I plan to be VERY careful and not touch the business end. I did order the pipe today. I just hope it is the right thing and works like it should. I like a quiet engine. Just not into glasspacks and all that noisy stuff. I like to be in stealth mode.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 AM

severe psoriasis.....I can relate.
Silicone is a problem for the sensors because it does not burn off. They make baking molds out of silicone.
I think you are a little too worried about it. Just get it done and have a clean place (cardboard box) where you can store the sensor undisturbed.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Parts shipped today. Hopefully they will be here in a few days. Will try to post pics and such to. May help some other poor soul one day.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM

Well, I got A part at least. I looked at the picture on the website before I ordered the part for this. The picture on the website matches mine perfectly. The part I got is not the same as the picture. I think it is for the smaller engine on the DX model. I bought the part from partsgeek.com so I guess I am about to find out how good they stand behind their sales. Heck, the O2 sensor is even plugged up. It says on the site 'with O2 sensor' but not on what I got. You can't put a O2 sensor in a hole that is plugged up and wielded shut.

Since they either messed up the part or have a picture of the wrong part, should I have to pay restocking fees or anything? I got a feeling they are going to tell me I have to. If they do, I'll be buying from someone else.

Thoughts?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 PM

dalek:
I am a little confused about what is what. But notwithstanding: If they screwed up advertizing they need to take the parts back. You are still stuck with the return shipping cost. That's bad enough, but it is the risk you took...

Quick Reply: Exhaust and O2 sensor on 1994 Mazda Protege