Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Car not starting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Default Car not starting?

I swear every time I join a vehicle forum my vehicle goes to ****.. it's like a curse.

So recently I've gotten:

Coil Packs
Wires
Battery
Spark Plugs
AC Evac/Recharge
Induction

As I was turning into my neighborhood last night my car just cut off; I had to shift into neutral and coast into my drive way.

When I turn the key it's turning over but simply won't turn on. I'm pretty sure I need a new starter because it's not "dying" like if I need a batt or alternator. I'd like to get a second opinion on the matter though.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM

When you turn the key it is turning over: your starter works!

You say it doesn't turn on. That means the engine does not fire up: reasons could be : no spark.....
check your previous work on the ignition parts. And check the ground connections, grounding straps etc.

.....or no fuel.
Check fuel pressure. Check the injectors.

What is " induction"?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
When you turn the key it is turning over: your starter works!

You say it doesn't turn on. That means the engine does not fire up: reasons could be : no spark.....
check your previous work on the ignition parts. And check the ground connections, grounding straps etc.

.....or no fuel.
Check fuel pressure. Check the injectors.

What is " induction"?

lol good question on what an induction is. I just saw it on the bill and saw what it was.

Is induction service a waste of money? | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

That article best explains it I guess.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 PM

I always thought the starter gave the motor that "extra hump" to turn run?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Not an "Extra" hump, it's "THE HUMP". Or would you like to do what this guy does?

After the invention of the electric starter the popularity of cars picked up.

So if your car goes "Oi-oi-oi and nothing" it means your electric starter works. But the engine does not fire up, just as I said earlier.

Indeed "induction" is mostly the induction of your money into the dealer's cash register. Use brand name gasoline and you will be good.

Have a nice weekend!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Not an "Extra" hump, it's "THE HUMP". Or would you like to do what this guy does?

So if your car goes "Oi-oi-oi and nothing" it means your electric starter works. But the engine does not fire up, just as I said earlier.

Indeed "induction" is mostly the induction of your money into the dealer's cash register. Use brand name gasoline and you will be good.

Have a nice weekend!
Couldn't have said it better myself! I got a real good laugh at that one! You'll wanna make sure that one doesn't stall out too often!

After market intakes can be tricky. I hope you had proper instructions.
Vac lines need to be plugged, electronic solenoids need to remain hooked electronically.
Some aftermarket ones will cause a cel as intake tube may be too big or MAF is mounted on a bend (should be on a straight section).
Air leaks from not tightening and battery needs to be disconnected so computer can re-learn new intake.
Disconnect negative terminal of battery, step on brake pedal 6-9 times and leave it alone for 15 minutes. Re-connect battery, start it and let idle for 10 minutes. Now re-learning has begun for at least another 50 miles!

With all that work you've done you should disconnect battery.
A few things you also should have done: clean EGR valve, change PCV and inspect hose, clean MAF, clean throttle body------do this while battery disconnected.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 08-31-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:59 PM

Car is bone stock. My dad; whos been a mechanic for about 32 years came by and was inspecting the car. The good thing is that everything that Tires Plus replaced still works. I'm getting a spark, everything is sealed, pump is primping, No blown fuses.

Took the car to Tires Plus and they figured out that my timing jumped and bent the **** out of my valves and also added that it needs a new cylinder head.

So, basically at this point after dumping money into this car that I bought for $2200.. I think it's time to cut my losses with this thing.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM

That sucks!
I understand your disappointment. Still you could consider putting a used engine in.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Yeah I was thinking about that but every motor I found in my area was about 900+ and all the ones I found on eBay are ranging from 500 to 1200 bucks and that's without shipping and for some reason they're all okay to Canada

I would love to save this car because I personally bought the protégé because it is one of my favorite cars but that's just money I don't have