Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 Protege not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Default 2000 Protege not starting

Just took my 2000 Protege into a shop for a tail pipe test and the car won't start now. Didn't have any issues before the service guy played with it.
Guy tells me the code is SGC1345. Anyone know what that is?

Old 08-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Default RE: 2000 Protege not starting

Looks like you are Canadian so maybe your code setup is different than US. The SGC is not familiar to me but the 1345 is a code for a fault in the camshaft position sensor which would certainly give you a no start condition. The engine computer needs to know the position of the camshaft so it knows when to inject fuel and provide a spark for ignition. If you have the vehicle now, check to make sure that it is plugged in to start with. It is located on the very front edge of the valve cover. If it is connected then remove the connector and make sure that the electrical pins inside are not pushed out or bent.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:03 AM

Checked the sensor, or least what I think is the sensor. It's plugged in and the pins aren't bent.
What do you think is next? Replace the sensor?

The thing that is iching me is there wasn't anything wrong with this ride until this ma and pa shop touched it. Anything you think they could have done to make this happen? They were supposed to be doing an e-test. I tried to listen for the fuel pump but couldn't tell if it was running on key-on. Seems to be some fuel at the rail - when the girlfriend turns the key we're getting fuel at the injectors.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:33 AM

Fuel at the injectors is fine but are they injecting fuel when needed. check for spark at the ends of the spark plug wires when disconnected. If you have a good spark from the wires then we can asume that crank/run signal is being received to ecm and also them assume that fuel is also being injected at the correct time. Pull a plug wire off and see if we have ignition spark. Yes there is probably many things they could do to make your vehicle not run. Did it start and run ok when picked up from e test??

Old 08-22-2005, 10:55 PM

Car was stranded at the e-test place so I couldn't do a lot of work on it in their parking lot. We had it towed to the Mazda dealer here in Windsor and they can't find the problem either. They're talking about it maybe being the computer. Funny thing, the guy from the e-test place kept muttering things about the computer being fried. When I went to try jumping the car he kept saying that, "it's his responsibility to tell me that if I try to jump start the car that I may burn out the computer". I thought that sounded funny when he was saying it, and it wasn't his Paki accent that sounded funny.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:15 AM

That does sound really strange. Was the battery dead when you got there? Am assuming it was since you tried to jump start it. Sounds simple and dealer should have already checked this but if he did try to jump start your Protege for whatever reason and hooked the cables up backwards he could have blown the 100 Amp main fuse which will definetly give you a no start. Have seen other fuses also blown from backwards jump start but the main one usually always goes. Make sure they have checked this before they go on checking other things and running up a bill.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:50 PM

No the battery wasn't dead, but i thought I'd try it anyway.
I assume the service guys have checked the main fuse. I just got off the phone with them and they are trying to blame it on the remote starter. They want to remove it totally and rewire the car before they keep diagnosing the problem. They want 3 hours to do this. More money... and it probably isn't the problem.

Is there a Mazda service group to call that can help problem solve?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 PM

ok these are just things i need to know before i can direct you to a fix or not

does the car have power and turn over?

what is the actual code windsor mazda pulled from the pcm? not the JOE BLOW GARAGE that gave you that code.

does the vehicle get fuel to the engine and what is the psi coming from fuel pump?

you stated you had an auto starter...does that start the car if you use it?

what is the KM's (ie 100,000km)

please advise,

MazdaService

Old 08-26-2005, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the help.
The KM are about 110K.

Yes the car has power and turns over. Mazda garage in Windsor tells me that the coil fires the first order but seems to be killed after that. They tell me they replaced the coil and the problem didn't go away. They tell me that they replaced the pcm but the problem didn't go away. They tell me that they replaced the cam shaft position sensor and the problem didn't go away. They are saying that there is power everywhere it needs to be so the fuses aren't the problem.

They say that the fuel pump is working, but didn't tell me the fuel pressure - if they measured it. I was checking this myself before we towed the car and there is fuel at the rail. When you wiggle the first injector it squirts out.

I'm not sure what the code is from the dealer. I will ask this morning and add to this thread.
The garage down the street initially started the car with just the key when they didn't have the remote switch, so we haven't been thinking about this. The remote starter is here at the house so we will try that today also.

I will get these answers and add to this thread and email you. Thanks tonnes for the help.

Steve

Old 08-30-2005, 02:23 PM

The remote starter doesn't start the car. We took it to the dealership Friday, they rewired the remote starter back to where it was and it doesn't work.

I have been trying to get the dealership to tell me the error code. They have been playing around and not answering my question. They just told me that the code is P1385, which is the cam position sensor signal. They say that the signal isn't changing. But they say that they replaced the cam position sensor and that didn't fix the problem.

What can we do? The car is stranded at the dealership, they don't know how to fix it and want us to tell them what to do.

I hope someone can help otherwise we need to contact Mazda in Japan, and my Japanese is pretty rusty. Anyone have a phone number for Mazda in Japan?

Quick Reply: 2000 Protege not starting