Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

A/C switch problem, getting worse

Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM

It has several resistors inside. Each resistor is a fan speed. I have replaced literally hundreds for the problem described.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM

has anyone tried recharging yet? this is my second p5 and they started to do this when the system needed to be recharged.

if the light just goes out completely, i would say that you need to look into electrical. if it comes on and quickly goes off, you need to recharge.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 PM

It can be completely out of freon and not effect the light on the a/c switch. It is classic blower resistor symptoms. 100% absolutely positively no way it can be anything else bet my life and everyone i knows life blower resistor.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 AM

switch worked for me.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by wsoape281
has anyone tried recharging yet? this is my second p5 and they started to do this when the system needed to be recharged.

if the light just goes out completely, i would say that you need to look into electrical. if it comes on and quickly goes off, you need to recharge.
I have done a recharge, but it did not help the light situation. Although the recharge really helped my small leak, it comes out super cold now which I need since I live in FL.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by hixx
It can be completely out of freon and not effect the light on the a/c switch. It is classic blower resistor symptoms. 100% absolutely positively no way it can be anything else bet my life and everyone i knows life blower resistor.
I should be getting the resistor today or tomorrow, I will let you guys know if it fixed my problem.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM

anything new djslyde? Did the resistor work?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM

I think this problem is with many one. I am also having the same problem in my Mazda CX9.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Have the same problem currently on our '01 Protege. Took it to the dealer twice a year or so ago and spent a couple hundred bucks. I think they replaced the switch. Who knows what they did the 2nd time. Probably nothing. Whatever they did it worked for about a year and now you can see the A/C light flickering on 2 & 3 again. The windows are deeply tinted so it's not a major issue. Either 1 or 4 is generally good enough. I just find it so strange that the regular vent/heat works on EVERY setting from 1-4. Why is just the A/C affected?

If it gets worse I'm not going back to Mazda next time. You'd think they be able to figure these things out on the 1st time! Not the 2nd or 3rd time.... in the future I'll be going to another local mechanic and telling them to check the things that have been mentioned in this thread.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 08Mazda6
Have the same problem currently on our '01 Protege. Took it to the dealer twice a year or so ago and spent a couple hundred bucks. I think they replaced the switch. Who knows what they did the 2nd time. Probably nothing. Whatever they did it worked for about a year and now you can see the A/C light flickering on 2 & 3 again. The windows are deeply tinted so it's not a major issue. Either 1 or 4 is generally good enough. I just find it so strange that the regular vent/heat works on EVERY setting from 1-4. Why is just the A/C affected?

If it gets worse I'm not going back to Mazda next time. You'd think they be able to figure these things out on the 1st time! Not the 2nd or 3rd time.... in the future I'll be going to another local mechanic and telling them to check the things that have been mentioned in this thread.
By the way, they recharged the system one of those times so I know it doesn't have anything to do with the system needing to be recharged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C switch problem, getting worse