Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

A/C switch problem, getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by eeuler
I had the same problem in my 03, and it finally gave out. I did a lot of research on it and found out that it was only the switch it doesnt cost very much and after i took replaced it, it works like new. If its like mine you will have to pull off both of the metal wires under the dash that run the temperature and the blower, after that it should only take you a few minutes to replace.
Were you able to replace just the switch or did you have to replace the whole climate control cluster?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 AM

it was just the switch, you just have to unscrew the switch from the whole cluster, shouldnt take very long

Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 AM

Where do you find the resistor to the blower motor, is it in the engine or the dash?

Also, where do you find these replacement parts? Is there a good site online, I looked but found nothing, or do you have to call mazda?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 AM

it was just the switch, you just have to unscrew the switch from the whole cluster, shouldnt take very long
Interesting, I might give that a shot if replacing the resistor does not fix my issue. Do you recall where you ordered the switch from?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by shangold
Where do you find the resistor to the blower motor, is it in the engine or the dash?

Also, where do you find these replacement parts? Is there a good site online, I looked but found nothing, or do you have to call mazda?

Thanks
The resistor is next to the actual blower motor behind the glove box.

I found the resistor on Amazon, its an OEM and they have a feature that will check to see if the part is compatible with your make/model. There are other sites and you can always try eBay, but they usually don't have specific parts.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 AM

I got the switch from mazda. If your blower motor works in certain speeds and not others i would say that it would be the switch not the reisistor.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM

I got the switch from mazda. If your blower motor works in certain speeds and not others i would say that it would be the switch not the reisistor.
The blower itself seems to be fine. It changes the proper fan speed from 1-4. The problem is, on 2 and 3, sometimes 4, the A/C light goes out and it is no longer coming out cold. So from my research I learned it is either the resistor or the actual switch/connector.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:46 PM

that would be the switch, a resistor works or it doesnt. So being that it works in certain positions would show that the resistor is fine.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Blower resistor 100% of the time.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 AM

from what i know about electrical systems, when a resistor goes bad then nothing will work, because the current cant go through it. Since its working in 1 and 4 unless it has a potentiometer that would be a switch.

Quick Reply: A/C switch problem, getting worse