Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

A/C switch problem, getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Default A/C switch problem, getting worse

I tried a search and couldn't come up with anything. My 02 Protege5 began having a problem where the a/c would not function on the #2 fan setting. Eventually it stopped working in the #3 setting as well, and now it onyl functions in teh #1 setting and I don't really know where to start looking for an answer. The fan works, but in 2,3,4 the light on the a/c button goes out and the a/c cuts off.

Also, it used to cut out intermitently when on setting 3 and recirculate with the floor vents blowing, but when changed to full face vent it would work, as if a temp switch was shutting it down for getting too cold, but only on that one fan setting
Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Default RE: A/C switch problem, getting worse

My 2002 Protege is doing the exact same thing. Did you determine the problem and the fix?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM

Nope, I can't figure it out and havn't had time to work on it. I ahve found that when you turn the ingnition to run, it lights up the a/c button, but as soon as you start it and teh compressor kicks on, it shuts it off. Mine works in positions 1 and 4 again, 3 will flicker on and off for a few seconds and then stay off

Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 AM

I have the same issue same freaking car my works you just have to set it just a littles off the number instead on the 2 try between the numbers that how mine is doing now

Old 05-08-2008, 02:14 AM

need either a recharge on refrigerant or a new compressor

Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 PM

any one figure this out. I am now having the same problem on an 2002 ES. I also have the same thing where, if you find the magic spot between the numbers it works.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM

I have the exact same problem with my 2002 Protege ES. I have done research and most people seem to think it is an issue with the blower motor resistor. I just recently replaced my blower motor since it was ticking and that could be a sign of it going bad.

I just ordered a new resistor today for $35. I am going to install it and see if it fixes the problem and I will report back.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the resistor or the connector itself. It only makes sense since the compressor works and it is ok if you shimmy it between numbers.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM

I have the same problem with the MSP... do you smell burning wires when it was set on the highest setting? just a question... but it could really be a number of things...

It could be shorting out, over heating, faulty wireing, resistor could be out, the fan could be out or wireing to both could be shot. I doubt it would need rechargering since it isnt even turing on at all

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

No burning smell at all. I figure this resistor is a pretty cheap part and since I replaced my blower motor already, this would make sense as the next part. If not, I also heard it could be a specific fuse, but I am not sure which one.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 PM

I had the same problem in my 03, and it finally gave out. I did a lot of research on it and found out that it was only the switch it doesnt cost very much and after i took replaced it, it works like new. If its like mine you will have to pull off both of the metal wires under the dash that run the temperature and the blower, after that it should only take you a few minutes to replace.

Quick Reply: A/C switch problem, getting worse