Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Default A/C question

Hi guys. I have a '98 Protege LX, 1.5L. The A/C clutch bearing is shot. Is it possible to replace the A/C clutch including the bearing without taking the A/C compressor out of the car? It sits mighty close to the sidewall.
My A/C worked but made a lot of bad bearing noise. I currently use a by-pass belt.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 PM

This message gets a lot of looks but no answer yet. If you can't answer my question directly I definitely will appreciate if you could tell my how you dealt with replacing the AC clutch bearing, short of installing a new AC compressor.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Hi guys: Since no one cared to answer I have to answer the question myself: yes, you can. Remove the wheel, remove the under body splash guard and access the compressor from below. There is enough room to work on the compressor clutch assembly.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Default help

I am having the same issue in my 96 protege 1.5L the ac works great except the compressor clutch assembly is going out(grinding noise)... i have done a of research online and cant seem to find the clutch assembly, it seems like i have to buy a new compressor and clutch assembly that sucks!!! 1.5 yrs ago i had all the ac stuff replaced and i want to get out of this fix for cheap any insight would help.

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Hi guys: Since no one cared to answer I have to answer the question myself: yes, you can. Remove the wheel, remove the under body splash guard and access the compressor from below. There is enough room to work on the compressor clutch assembly.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM

I didn't face such issues yet. Even am still awaiting for the best solution to this problem, so that in future i can deal them easily.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM

I ordered my compressor clutch bearing from "Coldzone777" and I watched YouTube videos on how to replace the clutch bearing. I had no problems getting it done in about 2 hours, and I am a slow poke.