Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

96 Protege Will Not Start After Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Default 96 Protege Will Not Start After Overheating

Thanks in advance guys... The car is a 96 Protege LX with the 1.5 engine... In short the car overheated and now will not start ... The temperature gauge pegs hot when I turn the key ... I have used a multi-meter and checked every fuse ... I have checked the crank position sensor and it seems to be within specs... I have verified that the fuel pump is energizing when I turn the key ... I pull the plugs and there may be a indicator of coolant on one of the plugs ... I am of the opinion that with a blown head gasket the car should still run rough ... I am looking for suggestions to get a rumble out of the car before I pursue replacing a head gasket ... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, Steven

Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM

Remove the radiator cap,top the radiator off. Leave the cap off and crank the engine. If coolants blows out of the radiator while cranking then you have a warped cylinder head. The higher the coolant blows out the worse the head is warped.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Make sure you flush all coolant and replace all coolant sensors as well as thermostat.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Pressure test the cooling system, then remove the sparkplugs, then wind the engine over off the starter moter & see if coolant fires out the spark plug holes. Also get a compression test done on the cylinders.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:15 AM

I actually modified and attached a clear hose to a shop vac ... then removed all of the spark plugs and vacuumed to see what, if any , fluids the vacuum would pull out ... yep, a couple of cylinder had some signs of coolant but not enough that the cylinder would not fire ... and there is no visible sign of coolant in the oil ... I pulled a plug wire and attached it to a exposed plug so that I could watch for a spark ... I am getting a spark ... I do not think that the injectors are firing but I can hear the regulator when I leve the key on and pull, then re-insert the injector relay under the hood ... What should I look for or what can I test in terms of seeing if the injectors are actually firing ... I may try just squirting some start fluid or gas into each cylinder, then try to start ... I want to see the engine run before attempting to replace the head gasket ... Then, if it doesn't start after the head gasket, I would at least know that it is probably something I did not do correctly ...

Last edited by sdtsdt; 02-03-2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 AM

If you insist on running an engine with a warped head (bad idea) then drain all the coolant and try then.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hixx
If you insist on running an engine with a warped head (bad idea) then drain all the coolant and try then.
Yes bad idea!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by hixx
I just want the car to crank/start ... I do not want to go for a drive ... Once I hear the engine run, I move on to the problem of fixing the gasket ...
Can you offer any suggestion on how to verify if the injectors are firing .... I will get a 2nd set of hands this weekend so that someone can turn the key while I look and listen under the hood...

Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 AM

A noid light from a parts store.