General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Mazda 626 4cyl Will not start after cleaning EGR IACV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Default 99 Mazda 626 4cyl Will not start after cleaning EGR IACV

Hi, Great forums you have here. Some very sharp folks. I have been lurking here and there and now I have a problem, so I need a hand please if anyone can help....

1999 Mazda 626.. having problems.

At first it was idleing rough, but had no CEL on. I was told to clean the IACV and EGR and MAFS.

After cleaning, it seemed to run a little better(not perfect, it was still idleing a little rough)After driving about 10 miles the CEL came on(code says EGR) and then it died on me while driving. At first it would start and then die within a second or two. Then after sitting awhile it suddenly started and ran for about 10 miles and then died again while driving and now will not start.

I inspected the EGR again and it seems to be clean and the plunger is going up and down if you open the egr and do it manually.. could the EGR, being a problem, cause it not to start? Or would it just cause it to run bad? I am getting a spark at the plug wire by grounding it with a screwdriver..Im afraid I may have done more harm "cleaning " than good..

Please any help would be much appreciated.. Thank you

btw Could this be an ignition module in the distributor or does this car even have one of those?

Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Default RE: 99 Mazda 626 4cyl Will not start after cleaning EGR IACV

I went out this morning and the car would not start, so I loadedit up on a tow dolly with a winch, towed it to the shop and left it with the mechanic. He calls me and says he went outside and it started right up.. What the & ^%^%%^$????

Im afraid to try and drive it because im sure it will die on me again and I will be stranded like yesterday. I guess im going to to take it to the dealer..

Anyone ever have this problem? Does this car have an igntion module?

Beuller?