Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

replaced my front struts, got alignment but car still pull to the right

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Default replaced my front struts, got alignment but car still pull to the right

Before replacing my front struts myself my car drove straight, after i replaced my front struts the car was pulling to the right, got it aligned still pulls to the right. Rotated tires front left to right still pulls to the right. Went back to the alignment shop and they showed a print out of my alignment which showed it was perfectly aligned. But there something i just noticed about this pull to the right its not a normal kinda pull to the right let me explain:

It only only pulls to the right when i press the gas only, when the car is coasting no pull its straight like an arrow but when i press the gas it pulls. This never happened before the strut replacement. What can the problem be? Please help me.

Ever since replacing my struts though my car feels a lot more smoother and no brake shimmy that i use to feel above 60mph. its just this pull to the right when pressing the gas.

car: Mazda protege 2000 1.6l lx
Replaced my struts with Monroe quick struts

Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 AM

What are the caster/camber specs from the printout? Have you gone back over every bolt you turned? The two bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle have a tiny bit of slop in them. I always push the strut toward the engine compartment before tightening them. The caster/camber adjustment is done by rotating the top strut plate. Always ask for a before and after alignment printout when having an alignment done. Why you would have to go back for a copy is beyond me. The difference in left and right camber/caster can't exceed a certain limit even if each side shows to be in spec.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:45 PM

hixx here attached is the alignment sheet that i got:

Attached Thumbnails replaced my front struts, got alignment but car still pull to the right-20150129_153914.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 PM

it seems only the toe needed adjusting and the caster/ camber where in soec even after the strut change

Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 PM

The specs look ok. If it only pulls left on accel and the tires have been swapped left to right and the alignment is within specs i would look for something loose or shifting slightly on accel like a sloppy lower control arm bushing,strut not seated properly into the spring seat,worn upper strut mount allowing the strut shaft to move. Things like that. If it did not pull before you replaced the struts then the problem is likely in the strut mount/bearing. You don't actually have to align it if you mark the upper strut mounts current location. You needed an alignment for your toe but that is just a coincidence. Replacing struts does not effect toe.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 PM

This weekend am going to give the car a good look at suspension and driveshafts. I replaced the struts with quick struts you know the struts with coils, mounts and everything together. I do hear a clunk when i go over bumps but i found both my front sway bar bushings are shot that's what causing the clunk.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 PM

it turns out the monroe quick struts were the ones that were making my car pull to the right put my old struts back on and no more pulling, it turns out nothing is wrong with my old (15,000 miles on struts) oespectrum monroe (non- quick strut) struts.