Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2002 Protege S won't start, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Default 2002 Protege S won't start, please help!

My brother has a 5 spd. 2002 Protege S, car ran fine yesterday, sat overnight and acting very odd and won't start since this morning. Was not cold and did not rain overnight if that matters.

He replaced the battery today hoping thats what it was, bc the old battery looked bad and probobly needed replaced anyway, was getting alot of corrosion around the top and when cleaned off it would return within days (not normal amount, a TON).

Same symptoms with the new battery, can will not turn over. Once every few tries there will be a click and then the dash lights go dim. When the key is in the ignition, the dash lights sort of flicker and don't all come on fully, then there is a rapid clicking and they get bright. If you turn the turn signal theres a whine and random clicking noise from somewhere and the turn signal wont work and the dash lights go dim. Then if you flick the turn signal switch a few times (alternating between left and right signal), the dash lights get bright and the turn signal suddenly works normal. I tried turning the headlights on and they didnt come on, then I flicked the turn signal switch again a few times and when all the interior and dash lights get bright the headlights suddently turn on and everything with the electrical seems normal. Then if you take the key out and put it back in all these random strange electrical issues return.

I have never seen anything like this, looking for some direction to start to troubleshoot any possible issues. I have checked all the fuses that you can check by looking at for a blown copper connection and those all look ok. Tried jump starting car and nothing, acts the same way.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM

Tried it again and this is what happens:
1. Put key in ignition and turn it to on accesory / on position but don't try to actually start car. Lights on dash are dim and flicker.
2. Take key out and put it back in a few times and dash lights eventually become bright. Try to turn on headlights with car off and they don't come on at first, then after removing key and repeating these steps they finally come on, everything is bright and seems to work with car off at this point. High and low beams work, turn signals work properly, interior fan works, radio, etc.
3. Push in clutch and try to start car, instantly all lights dim and there is no click like its trying to turn over.
4. Take key out and put it back in and all interior lights are dim and dash lights are dim and flicker slightly.
5. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and start over again and same series of events.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by obinGilchrist
Lights on dash are dim and flicker.

I dont understand your reply. If you try to start the car by pushing in the clutch and turning the key like normal there is no click, as soon as you turn the key to start it everything just goes dim like its almost dead. Then it has to sit for around 5 minutes and if you take the key out and put it back in the dash lights are bright again. And try to start it again and same thing, as soon as you turn the key everything seems to go dead and dims / flickers.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Keith:
to me it looks like there is a short somewhere. That short is probably bad enough for you to find it.

I would visually check all electrical wiring, connectors etc under the hood and at the steering column / instrument panel.

I would also take the alternator out and have it tested at an auto parts store.
The corrosion on the new battery makes me think that the short may be in the alternator / voltage regulator area. Have real close look at all the wires and contacts at the alternator and battery.

Google for "voltage drop test" and "how to find an electrical short" to raise your chances of finding that bug.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by tanprotege; 09-28-2011 at 09:22 PM.