Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2001 Protege IAC Valve 1.6L

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. Let it completely dry before you re-install it.
Also: I am old school. I don't trust computers blindly. Just because you get a code that points to the IAC valve does not mean this is the thing that is bad. Make sure that all the wires and connectors to the the sensors are in tip top shape. Any corrosion in there can affect the resistance and cause faulty signals.
Therefore: make sure all the basics are right: spark plugs, wires, fuel delivery, EVAP hoses and so on. any rubber pieces are now old enough to get cracks and holes.

Do not "relax" anything on the IAC valve. Spring rates are factory chosen and you won't be able to match it. Consider a used IAC valve from the junk yard.

Then, goin back to post #6: you wrote:
"P0507 idle air control
emissions
so and so"

What exactly were "so and so"?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. Let it completely dry before you re-install it.
Also: I am old school. I don't trust computers blindly. Just because you get a code that points to the IAC valve does not mean this is the thing that is bad. Make sure that all the wires and connectors to the the sensors are in tip top shape. Any corrosion in there can affect the resistance and cause faulty signals.
Therefore: make sure all the basics are right: spark plugs, wires, fuel delivery, EVAP hoses and so on. any rubber pieces are now old enough to get cracks and holes.

Do not "relax" anything on the IAC valve. Spring rates are factory chosen and you won't be able to match it. Consider a used IAC valve from the junk yard.

Then, goin back to post #6: you wrote:
"P0507 idle air control
emissions
so and so"

What exactly were "so and so"?
Spark plugs were changed last year and fuel delivery should be good to go. I sprayed maf sensor cleaner couple days ago as well, But forgot to mention that. No corrosion on the sensor wires, but I'll do a thorough look down of them. And whati meant by d so and so was simply emissions. That's what the obd read as.
Now I feel like an idiot, I didn't even think about going to a pick and pull and just getting a used one. Here I am shopping around for a new one which it's around 300 bucks. .
I'll keep u updated. Thanks

Old 12-12-2015, 01:23 PM

I think I would also test the throttle position sensor.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Default Solved!!!

Originally Posted by tanprotege
I think I would also test the throttle position sensor.
Okay, so I removed the maf sensor from the housing and gave it a good look and there was a thin coat of build up on the air passage side of the sensor, So I took some sensor cleaner and an old brush and cleaned it real good.
I proceeded to remove the throttle body and removed the iac. When I took the iac off, I looked inside and noticed the "plunger flap" (Idk what it's called) was cracked and broke and was rattling around the housing against the servomotor. I can only assume this plunger is there to regulate air flow into the iac. Well, I took out that broken plastic. Cleaned the tb thoroughly inside and out, reconnected everything and cranked the engine. And bam, idle back to normal!
I saw there selling some iac valve super cheap on ebay out of new York. I'll keep it in mind if the problem comes back, But solved as if right now!
Cheers.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:30 PM

That's cool! I am glad you found it!