Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Protege (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/)
-   -   2001 Protege IAC Valve 1.6L (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/2001-protege-iac-valve-1-6l-20740/)

phildavis111 11-01-2009 01:03 AM

2001 Protege IAC Valve 1.6L

Does anyone know how to clean an IAC valve on a 2001 Protege 1.6L? I read that these are uncleanable and need to be replaced. That doesn't make sense to me as long as you were careful with the electronics. Is there a way to clean them without damaging the electronics? Any help would be appreciated showing the steps on how to do it? Thanks.

motorhead5673 11-03-2009 08:16 PM

Are you having a problem or is this just preventative maintenence.

On my 00 i spray carb cleaner into the IAC port with the engine running. You'll have to keep the throttle cracked to keep the engine running and use short bursts of cleaner. You may need to remove the IAC and clean the tip with a brush (I'd use an old tooth bruch). Never had to take mine out so I'm not sure what's involved. Can't be too hard though. Thoroughly clean the throttle plate and TB if you haven't already.

phildavis111 11-04-2009 04:57 PM

2001 Mazda Protege IAC 1.6

I've been having some rough idle. I checked the electrical contacts on the IAC with a VOM and it was ok at 10 ohms resistance. I want to dissassemble the throttle body and remove the IAC and clean it really good. I think the IAC might be sticking. I just wanted to make sure I didn't get any cleaner into the electrical part of the IAC. Did you use carb cleaner? How did you keep from getting the cleaner into the electronics? What do you have to do to expose the tip for cleaning? Thanks.

neilkevins 11-07-2009 04:06 AM

hi there...

Looked everywhere and I can't find the repair manual for my buddy's 2001 Protege' LX. Any help with locating this guide or a PDF (Which would rock!) would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

copierman 11-18-2009 07:52 PM

check the air hose from the air box to motor. if there are crack in the hose, the extra air really confuses your ECM , it can't set engines idle.

cdunbrasky 12-06-2015 08:07 PM

Sorry for bringing up this old post.
I'm having a problem with a violently high idle right now.
2001 Mazda protege 1.6L about 130k miles.
I just replaced a starter recently, as well as a alternator belt. The day following the belt replacement, my idle starting acting very rough, It's violently idling high ( I don't have a rpm tech on the dash) but I'd estimate 3-4k rpm at cold start, then proceeding to drop after a minute. But it didn't drop normally, when the idle drops it sort of revs high revs low revs high revs low. Back and forth.
I put an obd read on it and spit back a

P0507 idle air control
emissions
so and so

So I'm going to try this carb cleaner on the iac valve and probably try some tb cleaner and clean out some gunk there at the valve. I'll also look for any crack in the intake house or possibly some broken hoses disconnected sensors.
I'm just super frustrated right now and would like come support, comments, any advice.
I think that's it.
I just don't want to have to replace the iac or egr if I don't have to!!

tanprotege 12-06-2015 08:32 PM

I think you are on the right track. Just buy Throttle Body Cleaner to do the TB and the IAC Valve. And buy MAF sensor cleaner for the MAF sensor.
EGR shouldn't affect the idle much at all. but if it is clogged up it could trigger some codes. The EGR valve and its passages can be cleaned as well. The B-12 Chem Tool may be the best for that.
When you check for vacuum leaks keep an eye out for a hose that you may have knocked loose when doing the alternator belt. You can use the MAF sensor cleaner to locate vacuum leaks.

cdunbrasky 12-07-2015 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege (Post 155624)
I think you are on the right track. Just buy Throttle Body Cleaner to do the TB and the IAC Valve. And buy MAF sensor cleaner for the MAF sensor.
EGR shouldn't affect the idle much at all. but if it is clogged up it could trigger some codes. The EGR valve and its passages can be cleaned as well. The B-12 Chem Tool may be the best for that.
When you check for vacuum leaks keep an eye out for a hose that you may have knocked loose when doing the alternator belt. You can use the MAF sensor cleaner to locate vacuum leaks.

Lemme ask you a question, Can I get to the iac from the throttle body opening? From a video I saw, it looked like there was a small hole at the butterfly valve on the tb. I bought some carb and tb cleaner and a soft brush earlier and I'll clean it tomoro morNing. It's just weird how this idle problem comes right after the belt change.
Could there be a tension problem associated with idle? Dumb question

tanprotege 12-07-2015 11:14 PM

I don't think this is a dumb question at all. Did you get the tension right? It's important because if it is too loose the belt may slip and cause voltage drops and confuse the computer.
If you disconnected the battery the computer is relearning things.

The proper way to clean an IAC is to take it off. On the other hand, I cleaned my throttle body and had a whole bunch of cleaner getting into the opening you mentioned. I had no ill effects from that. But I cannot positively tell that I cleaned it and fixed it's function either. So if you really want to know what you are doing you need to take it off.

cdunbrasky 12-12-2015 04:49 AM

Hello again, I'm going to keep this thread open until I solve this idle problem.
2001 protege
1.6L 142,000 miles.

So I cleaned the butterfly valve with carb abd tb cleaner. I also cleaned the opening valve to the iac with a soft brush. This did not help. The problem persists. I got a second obd reading and it's definitely the iac but now it's saying my maf sensor is faulty and I have a high circuit input from the sensor. About a year ago I replaced the intake house from the air box to the tb but I'm sure I must have used the old maf sensor. I'm going to take the tb off the unit and remove the iac in two days. There's a spring inside of it that I'm going to clean and mage sure it isn't stuck in place. If that doesn't fix the problem should I maybe focus on a replacement maf sensor? What about just relaxing the iac valve?
These parts are not cheap.
Cheers