Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 Protege stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Default 2000 Protege stalling

Well this is my first post as I just got my Mazda yesterday 2000 1.6 . I can't seem to stay away from these forums.
Anyway I took my car for a nice test drive with no problems except the AC needed a hose which was on order and to be replaced the next day. So I come back with the cash for the car and first thing I do is turn on the AC and it runs fine nice and cold. So after about a 30 mile ride home I decide to turn the AC on again and the damn car seems to lose power then back on for 3 or 4 cycles then I turn the ac off and everything is fine.
When I get home the same thing happens 2 more times then one time it's fine. I also tried just turning the fan on without AC and no problem. Now this morning I turn the defroster on and it does the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions I have read thru other posts and the EGR has been mentioned
Thanks Mike

Old 09-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Default RE: 2000 Protege stalling

Sure sounds like your A/C is either overcharged and developing too high off pressure causing the compressor to overwork or compressor itself is seizing up and dragging rpm down. This low idle and/or stalling only occurs when the A/C is on. The A/C is on when in defrost mode as well by the way.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 AM

Yes I would have to agree. I wasn't sure about the AC on when defroster was on but now I know. I guess I will have to take it back and have the AC checked or perhaps I will check it hear at work to see if it is over charged. Thanks so much for your reply.
Mike

Old 09-18-2006, 09:12 AM

Well over the weekend I evacuated the AC system as the system was overcharged. After I recharged the system with 1 pound and 5.2 ounces it appeared to be fixed but low and behold it happened again not as frequently but it did happen. Another question I have is I assume there is a connector on the AC pump that I could disconnect until I get the car back to where I bought it or maybe just pull the fuse. What are your thoughts on this. I had also put a scanner on this and the load value went from 17 to around 30 on full fan speed.
Thanks Mike

Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM

You can disable the A/C compressor by either removing the 10 Amp fuse in the underhood fuse box or 15 Amp fuse in the underdash box. Was the load value at an idle and was the A/C on or off?

Old 09-19-2006, 08:40 AM

Yes the 17% load was at idle with nothing else on. As I turned on the fan by itself the load went up and when the AC was turned on with the fan running at #3 the load went up to around 30 as mentioned. I will take some voltage reading's today as I believe I should not see a big voltage drop when the AC is turned on. Maybe 1 volt. I was using the AutoXRAY EZ LINK SCANNER for my readings. I hope I don't have a short problem as this will be a real pain to nail down so right now I am trying to pinpoint the obiovous.
Thanks so much for your replys.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Well I took the fuse out and yes there was no stalling when the defroster went on this time. But man I think I have some sort of electrical short that is causing this problem. When my headlights are on and I put my blinkers on the left and right blink not as bright as normal as when they do when the lights are off and the flasher in the car blinks much faster as when a bulb is bad. This does not allways happen just like the car stalling sometimes when the AC is on. I was wondering if you could recommend a good service book. Now I think I know why this car seemed so cheap at 49k miles. I got the car fax and there was no water damage reported.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2006, 10:24 PM

How does your alternator output look pfisto?? Should be running around 14 volts with no loads on. Voltage tends to drop down a bit at idle with multiple electrical loads on but should pop right back up to 14 when rpm is raised. Checked the load on an 02 but it had the 2.0 engine in it. Load at idle was 16% and only went up to 24% with fan on three and A/C running.
Take a look on e-bay. See some pretty good prices on OE manuals sometimes there. Even see some on CD but do not know if they are good or not.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

How does your alternator output look pfisto?? Should be running around 14 volts with no loads on. Voltage tends to drop down a bit at idle with multiple electrical loads on but should pop right back up to 14 when rpm is raised. Checked the load on an 02 but it had the 2.0 engine in it. Load at idle was 16% and only went up to 24% with fan on three and A/C running.
Take a look on e-bay. See some pretty good prices on OE manuals sometimes there. Even see some on CD but do not know if they are good or not.
My volts are about 14.3 with minamal drop off about 13.8 but comes right back. I check it at a time when it was working correctly. Yea my load went up to about 30 which concerns me a little because most of the load is on the engine as I believe it's a clutch setup which really shouldn't be that drastic. Perhaps the AC unit has a problem in it when loaded bad bearing or something. Now those load readings were taken when the AC was not stalling the car.
Thanks so much for your time.
Mike