Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2000 milly s ,,,stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Angry 2000 milly s ,,,stalling

Hi, I have a 00 Mazda Millenia S. I have replaced the EGR valve sensor, the map sensor, the mass flow sensor, and the TPS sensor, and also the crank shaft sensor, and still it does the same thing! When I accelerate fast, it stalls, but if I let go of the gas pedal, and then accelerate slowly until it picks up speed, the car runs great, but forgot to mention no check engine light is on! Is there someone who knows what is wrong with this car? and it all started one day i was at a stop and hit the gas hard and it stalled i still drive it everyday but if you start out in 1st gear and get the rpm up around 3k then you can floor it but if your sitting at a stop you have to push on the gas very very light to get it going if you push just a 1/2in it will stall

Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Default Throttle cable

your throttle cable might be loose or jumped off the little groove on the throttle body. and that would not cause the engine light to come on.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rockoe
your throttle cable might be loose or jumped off the little groove on the throttle body. and that would not cause the engine light to come on.

i check it it seems to be working

Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Milly: I don't have a Millenia. But I thought I theorize a little with you.
You have already thrown a lot of sensors at it. I must ask: did you CHECK the sensors before you replaced them? Too often the messenger (sensor) gets blamed for the news and yours were replaced even though there was no digital trouble code.

When you step on the throttle the amount of air coming in increases suddenly. The computer should react by increasing the volume of fuel to be injected. Maybe it can't because the fuel pressure is low? check fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and injectors.
Maybe the EGR ports are plugged. You replaced the EGR sensor, but did you clean the throttle body including the EGR ports? Did you clean out the EGR valve? Did you check if the nipple for the EGR vacuum hose is open? In Proteges this nipple gets clogged with deposits and the passages in the EGR valve collect deposits as well.

The millenia has a turbo charger. Maybe the charger is not working correctly?

Did you check the ignition system?

Did you check for vacuum leaks?

I hope this helps you close in on the cause.

Last edited by tanprotege; 01-27-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
You have already thrown a lot of sensors at it. I must ask: did you CHECK the sensors before you replaced them? Too often the messenger (sensor) gets blamed for the news and yours were replaced even though there was no digital trouble code.

When you step on the throttle the amount of air coming in increases suddenly. The computer should react by increasing the volume of fuel to be injected. Maybe it can't because the fuel pressure is low? check fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and injectors.
Maybe the EGR ports are plugged. You replaced the EGR sensor, but did you clean the throttle body including the EGR ports? Did you clean out the EGR valve? Did you check if the nipple for the EGR vacuum hose is open? In Proteges this nipple gets clogged with deposits and the passages in the EGR valve collect deposits as well.

i did check the fuel it was at like around 40psi and when i push i the gas it goes up over 50 i think iam going to do all the stuff you said nam sure it needs it anyway as soon as the snow go away thanks for your help

Old 01-28-2012, 03:34 PM

egr dont come work until the car is going, iirc, above 2500 rpm. so it cant be egr.

millenia does NOT have a turbo. where go you get your info? make it up?

ign system. the 2.3 has a cop system. while there are some ways to check SOME of the parts, the main weakness here are the coils. they could be weak, but off idle, it would have more to do with the battery than the coils. how old is your battery, and have you had a load test done recently? in the 2.3, a weak battery will cause all kinds of wierd problems. for some reason, the 2.3 seems to react more to a weak battery than other engines. a weak coil might not throw a code. i have changed out several in both our cars(we have 2 2.3's), sometimes they throw a code, sometimes not. if a coil is weak, it will do what your car is doing, and there is no way to check if a coil is weak. there is a way to check if one is dead, but not weak.

there is a vast difference from the engine in a protege and the millenia s 2.3. beware of those who think they are the same

Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by keninn
egr dont come work until the car is going, iirc, above 2500 rpm. so it cant be egr.

millenia does NOT have a turbo. where go you get your info? make it up?

ign system. the 2.3 has a cop system. while there are some ways to check SOME of the parts, the main weakness here are the coils. they could be weak, but off idle, it would have more to do with the battery than the coils. how old is your battery, and have you had a load test done recently? in the 2.3, a weak battery will cause all kinds of wierd problems. for some reason, the 2.3 seems to react more to a weak battery than other engines. a weak coil might not throw a code. i have changed out several in both our cars(we have 2 2.3's), sometimes they throw a code, sometimes not. if a coil is weak, it will do what your car is doing, and there is no way to check if a coil is weak. there is a way to check if one is dead, but not weak.

there is a vast difference from the engine in a protege and the millenia s 2.3. beware of those who think they are the same

thanks for all the help guys the funny thing is after i get it up to 2500rpm i can beat the hell out of it ,,,you think it could be getting to much fuel or maybe the egr is stuck open

Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM

You are right, Kenin, the Millenia does not have a turbo. But it does have a Miller cycle engine. Or do I shoot myself in the foot again?

The Miller cycle engine has a SUPER CHARGER. Here is more about the Miller cycle engine:
Why hasn't the Miller cycle been more widely utilized? - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

If and only if your Millenia has a Miller cycle engine, maybe the SUPERCHARGER is not working correctly.

(I hope I covered my anatomy well enough).

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM

You are right, Kenin, the Millenia does not have a turbo. But it does have a Miller cycle engine. Or do I shoot myself in the foot again?

The Miller cycle engine has a SUPER CHARGER. Here is more about the Miller cycle engine:
Why hasn't the Miller cycle been more widely utilized? - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

If and only if your Millenia has a Miller cycle engine, maybe the SUPERCHARGER is not working correctly.

(I hope I covered my anatomy well enough).
wrong again. even if the COMPRESSOR(i believe supercharger is to otto cycle what compressor is to miller cycle) is bad, the car will run. it will even feel just like the compressor is working, up to about 1500 rpm, then it will still be smooth, but there will be no power. again, i would check the battery. the 2.3 just dont like to run if the battery is weak. at idle you should be getting 14.4 volts. when it gets to 2500, the alternator is putting out max, so even if the battery is weak, the input from the alternator would overcome the weak battery. if a coil is weak, it will still run, and miss occasionally, but generally miss under heavy load, and boost, but still not throw a code. if the coil is beyond weak and near death, it will miss badly, and you will get a ce lite, in extreme cases, it will flash. the only other thing i can think of is a huge intake leak, so when you mash it, unmetered air mixes with metered air, and the system cannot compensate for the extra air, and goes super lean, stalling. or possible throttle position switch, but tps is rare on a 2.3. however, given the age of the car, anything can happen. i have seen, and have encountered myself, bad fuel injectors, which in the past was extremely rare, but has become more common now, as the cars age.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM

After this shameful defeat I relegate myself to observer status on this thread. I think I may learn something.

Thanks, guys.

Tan

Quick Reply: 2000 milly s ,,,stalling