Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1995 Mazda Etude 160i won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 AM
Question 1995 Mazda Etude 160i won't start.

I have a 1995 Mazda Etude 160i (known as a Mazda Protege overseas) that has no power on the positive battery cable, which means that their is no power on the starter motor. I have installed a new starter motor, a new battery cable and checked the fuses. What could be the problem. I have got lights on the dashboard which comes from the cable connected to the positive terminal leading from the engine fuse box. The battery is just over a year old and is still fine, but something has been draining the power. Could anyone suggest a possible solution to this problem?

Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 PM

did you solve your problem?

I thought about it and don't have a silver bullet. Here are some ideas,though.

If the battery keeps going dead you either have a short somewhere or the charging system is faulty.
The ignition switch could be bad.
The starter relay could be bad.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Default Mazda Etude 160i won't start.

Okay, I run started the vehicle last night, but it still won't start with the key. Thank you for your input 'tanprotege'. The possibility of the starter relay being bad is definately a possibility, but I am also thinking that the immobiliser (factory fitted) could also have a problem (relay or otherwise). Does anyone know where the starter relay, as well as the immobiliser relay, is situated on this vehicle? Thank you once again for your input.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Google Images for: mazda protege starter wiring
and you will get a diagram. A picture is worth a thousand words.
I can't post the picture because it is to big for the message board.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 AM

Thank you very much. I will try that.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:18 AM

Unfortunately the diagrams did not help. It seems that there could be a problem with the ignition or the factory installed immobilizer. Any other advice on this would be appreciated.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 AM

So you bump-started the car and it ran just fine. That means you have a manual transmission.
There is a interlock switch that requires you to put it in neutral or push the clutch in order to get juice to the starter.

Mazda Protege 1990 Mazda protege I replaced the gas tank and - JustAnswer (if the link doesn't work type this into the google search)

According to this diagram you would find the interlock switch by the clutch pedal. This diagram also shows an inhibitor switch located at the automatic trans-axle at the gear selector plate. If there is a inhibitor switch for the manual trans-axle you likely find it at the trans-axle where the shifter rods are connected to it.

I take it that you have checked the ignition switch at the steering column and the starter relay inside the fuse box and you found both to be in good condition.

If all the switches are good the problem must be in the cables.

Now I am at the end of my wits. Good luck!