Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Weird problem with Climate control

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Default Weird problem with Climate control

I have a 1989 MX6 GT Turbo in cherry condition but have developed a weird problem. When I try to use my electronic climate control the following happens: fan speed 1 an 2 do not work and if I choose AC, the AC light comes on, I can feel the AC engage from the engine, but of course nothing blows on speed 1 or 2. When I switch to speed 3 and 4 the fan works, but the AC won't come on and the AC light on the controller goes out. A couple of times the AC has come on in speed 3 or 4, and it's quite cold so I know the AC itself is working. When it does come on the light glows dimly for AC and econ mode if I choose it. I have replaced the dash control unit and the same symptoms are occuring. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Default RE: Weird problem with Climate control

Might want to take a look at the heater blower motor resistor pack mounted in the fan housing. If the #2 speed resistor or the wire between 2 and 3 were burnt up then would create the problem you are describing. As a quick check just use a jumper wire to short the solid Blue wire at the resistor connector (with it connected to resistor and key on ) to ground. If fan does not come on to #2 speed then the resistor is faulty. Shorting to ground Blue w/ Yellow stripe wire should turn on #1 fan speed.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Default RE: Weird problem with Climate control

Babyhuey, Sorry for the delayed response. Your advice was right on the money. My fan and AC are both working beautifully now. (Amazing that I am still running on the original AC including freon, since 1989!). Again, many thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Exclamation RE: Weird problem with Climate control

Hey Navycut69 - was it the wiring or the resistor? I have the exact same issue with my one owner 88 MX6-GT Turbo @ 235K miles and need to tackle the issue soon. Thanks !

Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Smile fixing 1989 mazda a/c problem or fixing fan speed switch.

the problem is the resistor pack which is an easy fix, right behind the heater fan is the resistor pack, you will see a group of blue wires that connect to it. simply remove the two 7mm bolts holding it in and disconnect the wire connectors. you will see the burnt coil or coils. I suggest going to a wrecking yard for a used one, due to the price of a new one which ranges from 60.00 to 90.00 dollars. I paid 1 dollar for mine when I fixed it, it was from a junk yard. good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Thumbs up Fixed: Weird problem with Climate control

Dudes you rule !! Since it was nearly impossible for me to visually see if a coil was burned out I took my light tester to the wiring leading to the relay(low, med, H1, H2) and it proved the climate control was functioning properly. Testing the leads on the relay itself the first coil did not pass the same test. I drove down the the local Pop's Pick N' Pay salvage yard and found two same model Mazda's, $7 later I walked out the door with the replacement module which I installed moments later. I'm back in business. Never had a forum site that had my problem and solution down to a T. Thanks guys !