Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

mx3 stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 AM
Default mx3 stalling issues

i recently bought a 93 mazda mx3 thought it had a clogged catalytic converter, turns out a friend told me it wasnt, and my stalling issues come from my air intake. My MAF is there but the snorkel isntThe MAF boot is cracked and taped up, and the tube that comes off the PCV valve is missing. I took it off my car and the MAF makes a rattling noise like a spring is busted in it. Im not for sure. Would these missing pieces cause my car to stall out? could a bad 02 sensor cause my MAF to misfunction as well?

Old 04-13-2012, 02:09 PM

Replace the MAF and all the air intake tubing, also replace the PCV valve and its related tubing, sounds like someone really didnt know what they were doing on this car. The MAF measures the air going into the engine, if the intake tube is cracked after the MAF (as in the tube from the MAF to the engine) it wont measure that air and the car will run lean and possibly stall out, if its rattling it sounds like its also busted inside, head on over to a junk yard and get a used MAF and all the hoses for it, same with the PCV and its hoses, a good PCV should rattle when shaken, if not its plugged up but can be cleaned. The O2 sensor cannot in any way affect the MAF. Also check each and every vacuum line since they will also cause running issues, if your missing so many pieces there are probably lots of little vac lines broken or missing.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM

all the little vacuum lines are there and look to be in fine shape. The pcv thing on the boot, is that like a little pipe coming off of it i know it connects to the gromet but does it also connect onto the snorkel? ive looked everywhere for a snorkel and called every junk yard and you pull and cannot find one.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Where are you located at (general area is ok)? Take a look at these List: Air Cleaner Intake Hose - Universal | O'Reilly Auto Parts and Universal Air Intake Systems, performance parts and accessories you might be able to make your own new hoses They arent that expensive either.

Last edited by MazdaTirol; 04-13-2012 at 07:34 PM.