Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

93 MX3 V6 stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Default 93 MX3 V6 stalling issue

New member here but not a new MX3 owner. I have posted wrongly let me know so I can do it right.
My wife bought a 93 MX3 new in 93 Raspberry in color. We have taken care of it religiously since and it has 292,000 relatively trouble free miles...well, it did. Radiator went, engine overheated, warped head. Bummer. We got a new motor (61K miles...new enough) had it installed.
The stalling issue started with rising and falling rpm the stalling out when coming to a stop. I took it back to the engine installer thinking it was maybe a fuel delivery problem. He tested it said fuel was not the issue it had 40# pressure. Said it was the ignition system and proceeded to put a new coil in it. That did not cure the problem, its still the same. Any ideas where to look next?
Thanks,
Paul
We love this car and plan on keeping it.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

could be throttle body, could be vaccuum leak in the brake booster.
Only thing wrong with your post is you made 2 identical threads (not necessary to do in 2 different sections, as us pros only click on to view "new posts".

Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM

sorry about the double posts, I promise it won't happen again...until next time? I just called the mech that did the install and he agreed that it is highly possible the the air control valve in the throttle body is the culprit. Ok, time to give this a try and from here on out I will try to use my noggin...

Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM

My Mx-3 I had ten years ago did this, I believe I had low compression in one cylinder at low rpms, causing the engine to die everytime I stopped the car with the ac on, so I just adjusted the throttle cable to give it a slightly higher idle as a temp fix and the engine was replaced eventually. Hope this isn't your issue, but if it is the engine should still be under warranty. I think the mechanic would of noticed a dead cylinder.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Good thought about the dead cylinder but, the engine runs very strong so I'm guessing that isn't the problem ( I hope) and yes the motor has a year warranty. I'm banking on the air control valve or a simple vacuum leak (much less expensive to fix!!)
Thanks,
Paul

Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Take a picture under your hood in HD and I can tell ya if i see any vacuums missing.

The engine you bought, was it just the engine or did it come with the intake manifold, throttle body, alternator, a/c, etc, already attached?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM

OK, here is where we are now, replaced IACV, coil, some big intake tube and we still have the same problem. So, we are now looking at your suggestion of the brake booster...makes sense. The car dies when you're coming to a stop. Also, the possibility that a wire to the computer may have been cut when doing the heart transplant and the computer is is not responding as it should. Because the car is as old as it is the computer testing equip doesn't read the old module? We are getting an old friend Mazda tech to bring over his old reader...maybe? Ideas?