Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Juanky
ok. there is always something new to learn! thank you tankprotege,
i stand corrected.
And let me correct you again!
Tanprotege
He likes to soak up the sun while on his computer!

I think something happened to distributor when it got bashed with hammer.
Is this car timing belt or timing chain? ----- time to change?
Mileage?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Jealous, Noggin?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Juanky: The 6 cylinder was an option. It has 1.8 L of displacement. The 4 cylinder has 1.6 L and it is the same as in the 323. BengalBrad is referring to the bolts at the distributor base, not the cap.

BengalBrad: The picture does not show the connector well enough. But you may want to look if an individual pin or wire has been damaged/ bent. You may be able to jury-rig the connection.

I think you don't get a code because the damage occurred when the engine went off. Therefore the computer did not receive enough data. Go and check for spark. I bet you don't have any and the reason is the damaged connector.
Ok, dumb question..... where and how do I test for a spark? I know rookie question. I've learned a lot here, but still have my moments.

When I was in college I was taking a course that dealt with the thinking process. The prof gave us what he called the "Peanut Butter Sandwich" test, in which we were to write down how to make a peanut butter sandwich. We all failed.....the reason being none of us mentioned taking the lid off the peanut butter to start with. That is where I am sometimes here, I can't assume anything, but I'm learning.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 PM

O.k. I am not going to be as detailed as your professor was.

You probably have a spark plug lying around. If it is a good one pull one plug wire (only pull on the boot! not the wire itself) and put the spare plug on it. Have someone turn the engine over while you hold the plug against ground.

If you don't have a plug lying around, pull one from the engine.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned
Red face

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Jealous, Noggin?
Yes, I wanna watch the beach babes, in the sand, the sand on them!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-01-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM

I hear you, loud and clear!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Wow, you guys make it hard to concentrate on the topic at hand. First time in my life I actually wished I was grains of sand.

But I digress.

Been for a few week, even went to Cincy for the playoff game. Storm came through Indiana as I was trying to make it back to Wisconsin and got stuck in Lafayette, IN for a couple of days. I know you're all envious aren't ya?

ok, back to the task. I haven't had time to do the spark test, or take apart the distributor yet. I did notice I damaged a hose coming from the air cleaner. I have a picture of it here. Is it possible to just purchase the air filter container, or maybe just get the hose connector? I circuled it in red. Another thing, the big opening facing the camera coming from the large hose that goes from Throttle body to air cleaner. I had oil or something oily around the inside of that opening.

Another thing that I really like about this car. When it's not in operating condition, it is impossible to shift the car into gear (I have an automatic). Today I went out for a short while and I can't shift it. Mostly all signs point to I damaged the distributor as I was trying to move it with a rubber hammer.

Let me know about the hose connector.

Attached Thumbnails Idle Problem-nugs-engine-2-001.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 PM

You are a cheese head from the land of cow pies and beer farts and you are rooting for the Bengals? What's wrong with you! And I thought Noggin is freak! I am resetting my benchmarks!

I don't like that oil in the air intake hose. Most likely source is the PCV, positive crank case ventilation. Replace the PCV valve with a new one. I don't recall if you ever made a compression test, it may be worthwhile. If the rings don't seal against the cylinder then you have blow-by and that increases the flow of gases through the PCV taking oil with it.

You can try to find a air filter box in a junk yard. If it were me I would go to Lowe's or another hardware store and find a suitable nipple to bolt or plastic weld in there.

Last edited by tanprotege; 01-10-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Well first off I'm from the Cincinnati area and have had and still have Bengals season tickets each year. What can I say, I'm loyal.

I did replace the PCV valve, but in learning where different hoses fit, I did put it in and out more times than a pimply face 16year old boy and a $5 *****. So the ring could be shot.

If that hose is not connected to the air cleaner, would that cause the engine not to kick over?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 PM

About the Bengals: nothing wrong with being a loyal fan. I just was surprised. On the way to NC we usually stay in Georgetown KY. The Bengals have their training camp there.
Once we stopped in Cincinnati for some famous BBQ....

Pimple face: You have some metaphors!

I don't know what this hose connects to, so I don't know if it could keep the engine from firing up. But you can experiment: Duct tape the hose on.
Besides I seem to see a connector just above the intake hose that has nothing attached to it?

Quick Reply: Idle Problem