Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Help! Confused!!! Fuel pump!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Default Help! Confused!!! Fuel pump!

ok first off both my fuel and temp gauges arnt working. soo i went to the wreckors an got me another gauges for both. and the temp gauge says im over heating.. which i know im not. and fuel still doesnt work. so i went out an bought after market gauges for temp an fuel. soo i hooked up the temp gauge to the original sensor. but i knew that the car needs to be hooked up to it also so i left the wiring alone at the sensor an just added the one wire to the sensor to give the reading to the new gauge. now the car has the engine light on.and both a/c fan an cooling fan are on constantly and rpms are up to 1500. i took the wire off the sensor an all back to normal.. so how do i hook the temp gauge properly without causing all this. ALSO the fuel gauge wont read either. id like to know what color is the ground wire on the fuel pump and what color the Fuel wire is that sends the signal to the gauge. my last thought was that the fuel sending unit needs replacing. im doing that tomorow. unless someone else has any suggestions! Pleassee i need to know how much fuel i have when i go on my 6 hour trip on tuesday! any help will be appreciated!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Default fuel

unless you got the fuel gauge working a general rule of thumb at least for my 1.8l is about 100-120km per $10 of gas. i usually get at least 400k to a full tank.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:11 AM

For future reference, when the gauges don't work. The sender end, connectors and wiring are by far most likely to be the problem. Also, a lot of the instruments are no longer directly driven from the sensors, but are dependent on the PCM, the secondary regulated voltage supply which the PCM generates, or even upon a secondary processor which provides the interface to the whole instrument cluster.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:30 PM

I bet you wired into the wrong temp sensor. there are two: one for the gauge and one for the ECU. Adding the wire to the thermosensor (ECU temp sending unit) would cause a strange reading from that sensor, causing the problems you had while hooked to it. Find the other sensor and test it's ohm reading. It could be bad, if so, you'll get 0 ohms (shorted) or whatever your tester would show for 0 connection (broke).
I'd vote for the rule of thumb on the gas gauge...